𝟑 || 𝐀 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐏𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐃𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋𝐒 ||

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

𝟑 || 𝐀 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐏𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐃𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋𝐒 ||

    Takemichi trembled at the sight before him, an all too familiar dread boiling at the pit of his stomach.

Takemichi was once again face to face with his greatest opponent. An entity who has never failed to overpower him, a vicious creature who preys on the minds of innocent children and their insufferable cries of fear. A mischievous foe that always, somehow, had the upper hand against Takemichi for as long as he could remember. Takemichi still hasn't succeeded in breaking the chains that bound himself to his worst enemy, so it was only a matter of time before he was forced to return to the malicious beast.

He could still escape—he still had time to run—to be free!-

"Hey! Where do you think you're going, Michi?" Takemichi winced at the familiar voice and reluctantly stopped in his tracks. A part of his mind was screaming at him to book it for the streets, away from the final boss that's haunted his dreams for YEARS—yet the other part of his mind was too scared to leave his mother alone.

And so—with every fiber of his body begging to run away—he turned back around and walked back to his mother who, for some reason, was staring down at him with a frown on her face. She reached out to grab Takemichi's hand—giving his smaller hand a gentle squeeze. It was oddly comforting.

"Don't you dare run off on me, got it?" She ordered, her voice stern but laced with something else that made Takemichi nervous. There was no telling what his mother would have done if Takemichi had chosen to flee and leave her behind.

Takemichi squeezed her hand back, his blue eyes casted down to the concrete in guilt.

"Yeah...sorry..." Takemichi murmured.

He heard a sigh from above him, most likely belonging to his mother. "We both have to show up—that's how it works Takemichi," his mom reasoned, but he could still pick out the dread that was hidden away in her voice.

She's been like this all morning; frustrated and on edge. Takemichi silently cursed the beast in his mind, upset about how his worst enemy managed to reduce his mother to such a state.

The beast was greedy, demanding that both of them show up in nice clothes and bright smiles. It was weird for Takemichi to see his mother dressed up in nice clothes opposed to the revealing dresses she wore when she was called in for work. Her black curly hair, that she normally never messed with, was tied back in a loose ponytail with a couple of fringes falling over her forehead.