Chapter 5: In the studio

I love being in the studio with Taylor. Especially when Jack Antnoff is there with us as well. Taylor had been working with him for so long that we looked at him as family now, more than a friend.

Taylor sat on the floor with the guitar next to her, a glass of wine in her hand. I sat on a stool watching her as she discussed with Jack about the song, and now and then laughed. The process of making her 10th studio album was a blast. 

She was, to quote Billie Eilish, happier than ever.

Or at least it seemed like it. I could never really know what she thought of, sadly. Suddenly she stood up and walked in my direction. She leaned down and kissed my forehead before giving my lips a short kiss before smiling sweetly and walking to the microphone.

"Jack, are you ready?" She asked.

I turned my head to look at him, and he nodded. My eyes moved over at Taylor again, standing with headphones on and focusing on something in her mind. The microphone in front of her was adjusted perfectly, and it was all ready. I watched in awe as she started singing. 

Her angelic voice, beautiful lyrics and small smiles between the lines. Because this was the last take for the song we had written together. It came out perfect, as always. When the take came to an end, she then took off the headphones and gasped in excitement. 

"We're done!" She exclaimed and jumped before almost running over two of us. Jack gave her a high five, and I stood up to hug her.

"I can't wait for this to come out." She said, just so loud that I could hear it.

"Thanks, I cant eider."

I had my problems with saying sorry and thank you too much. My growing up had shaped me into a pathological people pleaser, I was well aware of.

The song played as Taylor took my hand and swung me around. I laughed, feeling my heart flutter. No one but Jack and a few others really knew that we were dating. Love isn't dead if you keep it just yours.

"So I've had this idea for a while, it's a concept of like lines from my diary and how so many people listen to me..." Taylor said, and her voice faded as she unlocked her phone. My eyes looked up at the clock on the wall in front of me. 3AM.

"I think it could be called... Dear reader?" She asked, and looked up. "It sounds great." Jack said, and she smiled slightly, satisfied with his answer and looked down again. I watched her notes scroll past her eyes quickly before she put her thumb down to stop.

"I will give advice, but also tell the reader, in this case the listener, not to take my advice." Taylor mumbled, explaining. I nodded along, very interested in her idea.

"Dear reader, if it feels like a trap, you're already in one. Dear reader, get out your map, pick somewhere and just run."

"Dear reader, Burn all the files, desert all your past lives. And if you don't recognize yourself, that means you did it right..." Taylor sang, and Jack's eyebrows were raised the next time I looked over at him. I had to smile at his expression. 

"Kinda mastermind." I said, and they both snorted.

"Mother is mothering." Taylor quoted, and I had to laugh with Jack following me. 

"Oh my god..." I mumbled, a soft chuckle escaping my mouth as I checked my notifications. "Never take advice from someone who's falling apart." Taylor sang, and I looked up at her. I immediately understood what this was all about.

Even recording sad songs, we never failed to have the best time in the studio.