Chapter 16: Philocalist

Sitting in the hall, I finally understood what was going on. I was at the Oscars. My short film was nominated for Best Short Film, and Taylor was nominated for Best Original Song. Looking around the room, I recognized many faces I had looked up to and loved when I was younger. 

Jenna Ortega, to name one, sat right across from us and looked around a bit stressed. I can easily admit, I was as well. Taylor looked over at me and took my hand as my award came up. She leaned over, making my heart beat even faster.

"You're gonna win." Taylor whispered to me.

"I'm so not going to." I whispered back, and she stroked my cheek.

"Let's see, then." She simply said quietly, and looked up at the stage again. I did as well. "The nominees for Best Short Film are..."

I held Taylor's hand tighter, and she looked over at me again.

As they recited the names and the films, I watched the clips of them. I couldn't possibly win, this is just a short film I wrote and made myself. I didn't have a big studio, or many workers. But what did I have? The art.

"Philocalist by Y/n L/n!" They said, followed by applause and cheers from the audience. A camera was focused on me, and I smiled with blurry eyes.

"And the winner for Best Short Film is..." They said, and opened the envelope. Shoot, I thought. This is it. Taylor held my hand tighter this time, still believing it would be me. They looked at the written letters in the envelope, and looked up.

"Philocalist by Y/n L/n!"

Taylor stood up immediately, and so did I. She embraced me into a hug, and I did my best to keep tears in. There was a lot to cry for and about in this world, at least I could cry tonight.

"I knew it. Congrats." Taylor said, and I laughed and looked up at her. All I wanted to do was kiss her. But the world wouldn't be ready for that, I knew.

I found myself walking quickly over the plank wooden, and up the stairs. I managed not to fall, and took the few steps left to reach the microphone. I have a minute to say my speech, and I will try to make it good. The truth is, I didn't really even plan anything.

I was handed the award, shared a quick smile with the person who gave it to me and turned to the crowd.

The applause was ringing in my ears.

"Thank you." I said, and they calmed.

"It is such an honor that a Short Film like this is winning. Not only for me, but the whole world. It shows that art is becoming more easy to make, and to receive." I said, and calmed myself down. The words just came to me, and they didn't sound too stupid.

"Philocalist is a word I adore. It means 'Lover of beauty'. We are all phillocalists, and anything can be lovely. Well, almost. That is what this film is about. It's not all fun and games, but also telling an important story. I can not put into words how good this is." I said, and sighed. The applause came back, and I saw that I had less than thirty seconds left.

"I would like to thank my girlfriend, Taylor Swift, for making me feel worthy of putting this into the world. For feeling good enough, after being told the opposite for my whole life. A nice fun fact is that this short film indeed is about me." I said, and many in the crowd gasped, leaving me feeling empty for a moment.

"I would like to thank the Academy for seeing the beauty in this, and for you at home, I would recommend watching this as well. You may start seeing more beauty out there." I said, " It doesn't look like I have more time for this speech." I said, and my heart sank. That must be a stupid thing to say.

"Just, thank you, thank you, thank you!" I said, lifted the award next to me, smiled and walked off the stage.

The applause was back, making my heart flutter. I walked quickly through the hall to Taylor. To my left, I saw Jenna Ortega smiling at me. "I watched it, and I loved it." She said, loud enough for me to hear. I smiled, and mouthed "Thanks, let's talk later."

She nodded, and I sat down on my table. Just as the cameras stopped focusing on me, she leaned in and kissed my cheek. "The people should tolerate that." She said, and I smiled. 

"The people should tolerate this." I said, and leaned in to kiss her on her red lips. After five seconds, I pulled away. Taylor beamed, and I remembered that there still were cameras around.

Lights, camera, action.

I know I'm no longer on my own.