Chapter 10: Painted face

Standing in the full room, I looked around. All these people, yet I stood in the corner. With a painted face, a stupid smile was put on my face as they all wanted. But they didn't want me. I am the person standing in the corner, taking up space.

My eyes searched desperately for someone to see me, when they met Taylor's. Just as she walked into the room, a real smile spread over my face. Because I felt loved, I am loved. I put my glass down and quickly walked through the room to Taylor, smiling back at me. "Taylor, thank god!" I exclaimed, and took her hands in mine.

"I was worried. You know, these parties aren't always for you." Taylor said, and looked around.

"They really aren't." I agreed.

Me and Taylor, we are sticking together for the rest of this lifetime.

"Let's get out of here." Taylor whispered, and I nodded before we started walking out. As I turned around, I found that almost all the faces were lying on us. Because with Taylor, I was someone as well.

She captured me right when I was about to fall.

People may say that you have to love yourself before you can love others, but that's not the case for me. I was loved, so I loved myself more as the days of our relationship passed. I loved, so she felt the same. But how could anyone love her, the beautiful human standing beside me?

I was too lost in the sight of my beloved that I barely noticed anything else before the doors opened in front of us. My eyes shot in front of me, searching for the flashing cameras. But there was no one but people standing with their phones, seeing us casually.

I looked down as we swiftly walked past them, down the street. Most days, I almost forget about her bodyguard following or watching us, and today was one of those. "I'll get you two a car." His deep voice said behind us, making me jump. Taylor giggled at my reaction, and rubbed her left eye.

"Ah, it takes a little while to get used to that." She said, and looked behind her at him. He smiled a bit, and she smiled back before turning again.

"It does. But you do need him." I replied, knowing.

"I do." Taylor sighed.

People showed up at her house armed sometimes, and ever since she was a teenager she hadn't been alone. She always needed a bodyguard or someone. She was the strongest person I knew, as it was no wonder if she ever felt afraid. In this world, you are not exactly safe anywhere, at least not for her.

But, I can help her feel safe.

Soon enough, a car showed up with a driver. Her bodyguard opened up the door for us, and me to nod a thank you before stepping in. He closed it behind us, and walked around the car to sit shotgun. People still stood with their phones around, and just when cameras showed up we drove away.

"Could I play some music?" I asked, knowing it was a long drive home.

"Yes." They all said almost in sync, and smiling I connected to the bluetooth. Scrolling through my playlist for a minute, a song finally caught my eye.

Me and my husband by Mitski started playing, and I closed my phone and leaned my head back.

Taylor is thankful to me for not always playing her songs, but every time we listened to music I at least had to play one. She was the best artist I knew of, to be honest.

"And I am the idiot with a painted face in the corner taking up space." I sang along, and looked next to me at Taylor.

"But when she walks in, I am loved, I am looooved." I sang, and she smiled at me before lying her hand around my shoulder, pulling me close to her side. She noticed how I changed the lyrics from he to she. And she noticed how I beamed.

"Good choice." She whispered, loud enough for me to hear.