Chapter 28: First love in high school

Taylor and I were supposed to work on a group project for school. The assignment was to write an essay and create a small presentation to prove that we had learned something at all from the last chapter in Science.

The problem was that none of us really had.

But determined to get at least an acceptable grade, we both sat down and studied. There weren't really any issues.

The only issue was mine, which was the fact I had been thinking about her.

Wow, it sounds so stupid. But it's true.

I may even have daydreamed in last class.

Now we're sitting in the library by a desk with two computers that were balanced over an ocean of notes and books. Taylor was effectively catching up, but after several attempts and many notes and tasks, my head gave up. I had no chance to concentrate.

Her eyes flickered down to my lips, and with a smirk she looked up at my eyes again. I tried my best to stay calm, because I didn't know what else to do.

I had never been in love- is that what this is?

"y/n." She softly spoke, and it was like my mind stopped working.

Like an internet browser where all the tabs suddenly go frozen and you don't know what you're looking at anymore. 

It was not just the way she said my name as softly as if she was singing, but the way I liked it.

After the talent show, I was well aware of her talents. But also the fact that she was my friend, nothing more and nothing less.

It would stay that way, why wouldn't it?

"Yes?" I nervously answered. Damn, she definitely noticed the way my voice slightly shook. Why was I acting like this just when I tried my best not to?

"Let's get out of here." She told me before grabbing my hand to pull me up. I expected her to let go of it once I stood on my feet, but she didn't.

"What about the books?" I asked, but she just continued walking out with me behind her.

We walked down the stairs, through the front door and outside in the rain. "It's raining, Tay." I said, trying my best to sound offended.

She started laughing, and I watched her every move as she did so.

That made a smile blossom across her face for a second. "You're so pretty." She sighed, before covering her forehead with her arm. I was about to lose my mind.

Did she love me? Could she? Was this my teenage love story?

"Thanks." I said, and she took a step closer to me. Without knowing what I was doing or was supposed to do, I stood still.

"Sorry." I added, not really knowing if I had done anything wrong. I knew love was not for me. I had no idea how to deal with it.

"Don't apologize." She told me, "And, for the record I do mean it."

Her blonde curly length hair that fell down like waves in the sea, and her blue eyes that sparkled every time I looked into them.

Or maybe that was just something I imagined. Every single thing about her body and personality was just perfect, and I adored her so much.

"Thank you." I said, as her eyes flickered down to my lips again. "You look very beautiful as well." I told her, meaning every word I said on an incredibly high level.

Was this another thing girls who are friends do? I may not be the best navigator when it comes to knowing.

She seemed to zone out for a second, and I couldn't help but feel the little hope that spread in my heart. 

I've read quite a few romance books, not to mention all the love songs and romance movies I've filled myself with, and this reminded me of that.

Was she feeling the same way?

She placed her right hand on my cheek and as a yes I leaned in to meet her face. 

It was as if we were speaking without words, and the moment she understood what I wanted to say, she closed the small distance between our lips.

I could go on and on trying to explain what that felt like, but I could never make it. All I know how to explain is this:

I'm in love.