Chapter 37: I would die for you in secret

"All these people think love is for show, but I would die for you in secret." I whispered over the noise of the rainstorm outside our bedroom window, watching Taylor sleep silently next to me. The writers of those words herself, without any idea of how captivating they were to me.

I was helplessly adoring my exhausted girlfriend in a rest which I never seemed to be able to accomplish at night.

Especially now.

It was a few weeks ago that Folklore was released now, and the lyrics seemed to stick with me. "But there's robbers to the east, clowns to the west. I'd give you my sunshine, give you my best, but the rain is always gonna come if you're standing with me" Taylor had sung over speakers, from other rooms, in the home-studio and whenever I decided to listen to the album myself.

Peace somehow hit me more than Exile did. Probably because it felt like she was singing to me.

I could see her trying. See her cover up the paparazzi pictures of me, of us. The tabloids, the real and the fake. Keep our love ours.

The patter of rain against the windowpane kept my eyes wide open, despite my tiredness. These sounds- Taylor's deep breaths, raindrops, they used to be the most comforting to me. No, it couldn't be them.

I needed to get up.

As quietly as I could, careful not to wake Taylor, I slipped out of bed while gazing in the direction of the door to the balcony.

The cool touch of rain greeted me as I stepped onto the balcony, the soft glow of the moon casting an ethereal light below the small roof I was standing underneath. The world seemed blue-green, and already I could feel a sense of calm settling over me.

Somehow I always found peace in storms.

I smiled at the poetic truth about myself, filling my lungs with fresh oxygen and closing my eyes.

"The devil's in the details, but you got a friend in me... Would it be enough if I could never give you peace?" I hummed the words now, only for myself.

It was a quiet sanctuary, a place where I could gather my thoughts and find solace. Well, one of them. I looked behind me, over at the bed where I expected to find Taylor sleeping safe and sound.

But no, I didn't see her. Instead, I felt a presence next to the door, and a smiling face that leaned against my face. Taylor suddenly seemed wide awake.

Was I dreaming?

Her long blond hair was tousled by the wind, her eyes filled with concern over the sweet smile.

"I'm so sorry, did I wake you?" I explained apologetically, just as she asked me; "What are you doing out here?"

Her voice barely audible over the sound of the rain.

"I couldn't sleep." I confessed, reaching out to take her warm hand, drawing her closer until we stood side by side. I took a step back, standing on the wooden floor of our bedroom again. "It's okay, you didn't wake me. The rain did." She answered my question, "Is there something keeping you up?"

"You never seem to really leave my mind. I worry about you, you know." I admitted, "I see you trying, I see your lyrics."

She was about to defend my statement with how it all was 'made up', but not all of it was. I knew my girlfriend, and the look on her face while singing Mad Woman was now about Betty. Or any other characters, I guessed.

"Just know that it's enough for me. There is no need to be anything more than what you already are. A girlfriend, a unique and known one sure, but a very good one." I smirked, "I'm not very good with words."

Taylor's gaze softened at my words, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips again. "Yes you are." She sighed.

I squeezed her hand gently, my heart swelling with love for the woman standing beside me. At that moment, we stood together beside the storm.

And as the rain continued to fall around us, I knew that I had finally gotten to tell her what she needed to hear. Well, part of it anyway. 

Author's note: A quick reminder that you can all request what you want me to write. I came up with this on a night there was a rainstorm outside and I was awake at 2:37am hah. I promise that there will be more kissing and romantic chapters in the coming weeks, the stats tell me you guys like them... well I do too. And I like you!! Until next Tuesday, bye!