Chapter 36: An afternoon at sixteen

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm glow through the curtains of Taylor's bedroom windows, I found myself sitting on her bedroom floor with papers scattered around us.

With our mixtape playing in the background, currently on When It All Falls Apart by The Veronicas, I looked up at the posters on her walls.

The calmness of the moment made me wonder how life would feel when she had to go away. Her debut album will be released soon, and I'm sure that it will do good enough for her to leave me behind. Regardless of how much she might like me now.

With scribbled song lyrics and science notes on the papers around us, Taylor was currently writing down yet another sentence.

I watched her closely, studying her blond curly hair tucked behind her ears in an attempt to keep it out of her face. She was wearing familiar blue jeans, and a black sweater.

"So, have you finished that English assignment yet?" Taylor asked, flipping through the notebook next to her absentmindedly.

I chuckled, and her eyes gazed up at me. "Not yet. I have been a bit distracted."

Taylor's eyes lit up, and a smirk appeared on her face. "By what?" She asked, as if she didn't know. 

I leaned forwards, kissing her lips for only a few seconds before leaning away again. Taylor smiled, with rosy cheeks.

I've never really been in requited love before her.

It all started with us both knowing Abigail, and meeting at her birthday before starting to hang out in school as well. 

Abigail was supposed to come today, but she was busy. It wasn't that bad at all, I thought as Taylor leaned in again.

This time, the kiss was more gentle and long.

Her soft lips moved against mine with a rhythm that echoed the beating of my heart. 

Each kiss was like a whispered promise, a silent affirmation of the possibility that we could stay together in the times to come.

In that moment, there was nothing else in the world but her- the way her hair cascaded around her face, the way her fingers tangled in mine, the way her hand reached out for my cheek...

And as we lost ourselves in the haze of desire again, I knew that this was more than just secret teenage romance.

That's what happens when you go from best friends to lovers, I guess.

Later, I started singing along to the lyrics playing on her CD player. "Everything is f'ed up straight from the heart, tell me what do you do, when it all falls apart?"

Nodding my head along to the song we had heard on the radio the evening of our first kiss, I had to smile widely while singing the chorus. "Gotta pick myself up where do I start? 'Cause I can't turn to you when it all falls apart."

Taylor giggled, and was about to say something when the door creaked open. 

I turned around to see who it was just as the song was fading, and was met with Austin's head peeking inside. 

 "Hey, are you two hungry? Dinner's ready." He asked, and Taylor immediately stood up.

"Thanks, Austin." She told him, messed up his dark hair a bit and passed him in the doorway.

I smiled at him slightly as he ran his fingers through it, trying to correct it again.

The table was set with an array of dishes, and the scent of home-cooked food filled the air.

I smiled at her parents and sat down on the seat I knew none of them used to sit by, and at that very moment I once again wished for being able to move in with them.

And as we started eating, Taylor and I knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, we would always have each other's backs. 

There was no other way, was it?

We were in love, spending another afternoon at sixteen together.