Chapter 30: Practice in the stadium

After several hours of rehearsing for the tour, Taylor and I were alone on the part of the stage in the middle of the empty stage, with the harmony of my guitar and her piano as the only sound around us.

The light in the clouds lowered, and purple clouds had begun to appear as I sat down on the stage strumming my fingertips over the strings of the guitar.

Taylor had gone through the whole show today and this wasn't part of it. I looked up at her, her blonde hair falling down her back and eyes that weren't tired yet.

They were calm.

She played the piano focused, without any idea of the way I fell for her again every time I looked at her. The blue eyes flickered open and met mine, causing a smile to spread across her face.

"Now ladies and gentlemen, y/n is going to sing!" She exclaimed suddenly, as if the crowd really was here with us.

Her voice echoed through the great room, over the speakers that were even turned down.

I laughed at the loudness and shook my head at the words.

"Nah, you were all here to hear Taylor." I spoke into the microphone placed in front of me on a low stand.

Taylor stopped playing the piano for a few seconds, and I changed the song I was playing to Superman. She paused, and raised her eyebrows at me.

Giggling, I leaned closer to the microphone. "Tall, dark and superman..." I I sang lightly, and leaned back a little again.

"Why did you choose that one?" Taylor asked me through the speakers and directly to me.

"Because you are like superman. You heal people." I told her, and without clarifying if it was a little joke or not she snorted and started playing at the same time as me.

"Besides, it is underrated." I added for her to wink back at me jokingly.

We are so silly, I thought with a fluttering heart.

"So, ladies and gentlemen, for the second time tonight I would like to introduce you to my wonderful girlfriend..."

"Oh my..." I sighed, and cleared my throat as she finished saying my name. "I'm not good, you know." I reminded her, and her smile faded slightly.

"Yes, you are, darling." She told me, before singing the next line.

"He puts papers in his briefcase and drives away."

It was my turn, and for once, I was confident enough to sing.

"To save the world, or go to work? It's the same thing to me." I sang, and Taylor smiled beamingly at the realization that this time her words worked.

I couldn't be with her now that she was going on tour all the time, but as often as I could.

"And I watch you fly around the world. And I hope you don't save some other girl!" I sang the lyrics louder than the rest, as if there were something more I wanted to tell her.

Kind of comedic, as I told something to her in her own past words.

"Don't forget, don't forget about me... I'm far away but I'll never let you go! I'm lovestruck and looking out the window." I sang, and Taylor joined in again with an expression that showed she was wondering if I was doing what I was doing.

"Don't forget, don't forget where I'll be." We sang together, before I leaned back to give her a part of the song.

"Right here, wishing the flowers were from you. Wishing the card was from you. Wishing the call was from you..." Taylor's voice faded, and I grinned at her playing the guitar in my lap stronger.

"'Cause I've loved you from the very first day!" I sang, and was about to play the chorus when she let her fingers let go of the piano and stood up from the stool. 

I stopped playing the guitar at her movements, and she put a hand down for me to take. 

I took it without a second thought and got up from the floor of the stage, full of little pixels that were off for the moment. I let the guitar fall down carefully where my eyes intertwined with hers.

"Do you dread being away from me?" She asked me through the silence. No echo this time, and nobody's ears to hear but mine.

"I kind of do." I said truthfully, and she placed a hand on my cheek.

"Love, I don't like being away from you either, trust me. But I have chosen to believe you'll never leave." She said silently.

"I won't." I told her.

"I would never either." She replied, and leaned in.

The harmony in the air went from our instruments and singing to heartbeats and wind in a matter of seconds.

It was another quiet affirmation of our connection.

The evening seemed to pause, letting our affection linger in the air.

As the skies turned darker, we pulled away again. 

"I loved you from the very first day." We both said at the same time, before laughter filled the space of us.

The aura we shared, of what I am sure is love.