6

⋆·˚ ༘ *  DON'T BLAME ME
"love made me crazy"

"I had this weird thought today." Juliette pressed her cheek to her phone as she shut the door behind her, carrying the garbage bag in the other.

"Yeah? I love weird thoughts?" Conrad hummed with curiosity. Juliette threw the overpacked bag into the
pail before sitting on the concrete steps.

She stared down at the smiley face slippers on her feet, the stars and her house lights being the only source of light as she sighed, "I was thinking if my mom had cheated on my dad, he probably wouldn't have even cared." She went silent, the mention of her own mother making her shake, "Is that harsh?"

Conrad swallowed, "No." He said flatly, "But do you really think Liam wouldn't have a reaction?"

"I mean, kinda." Juliette shrugged, kicking the small pebbles off the two steps, "Like, nothing about my mom ever excited him. You know? They were, like, never romantic around each other."

"And you want to see your parents being romantic?" Conrad teased, making them both laugh lightly.

Juliette bit into her bottom lip, looking up at the dark sky, "Maybe. I mean, I just can't imagine marrying someone who didn't give me fireworks." She paused, her lips tingling with the need for Conrad. "You know, like, like electric jolts every time I saw them."

"Were you surprised when you found out your parents
were getting divorced?" Conrad asked abruptly, taking her aback as she stuttered, her lips remaining parted.

"Uh, yes and no. I mean, she passed before it could even happen but I always thought divorce meant fighting, you know?" Juliette painfully reminisced of her mother, her face scrunching, "And there was none of that."

"In a weird way, that must almost be a little harder to understand." Conrad laughed, making Juliette nod and laugh, too.

Her laugh quickly died down as she wrapped her free arm around herself, her eyes still scanning the sky, "Ooh, well..." Conrad hummed as she didn't finish her sentence, "What." Juliette shivered at the cold air brushing against her bare legs, "I don't know. Just never said any of this to anyone before. I don't like talking about her."

"I know." Conrad consoled her, "I've never talked about him cheating either. It just feels, um, right with you." Juliette grinned, "Yeah. Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Anything." He said desperately.

Juliette faltered, "Um, how's-how's Jere? Is he, is he doing okay?" She gulped as Conrad didn't reply at first.

"Um, yeah, yeah, he seems good." Conrad finally responded, breaking the silence. She could hear the confusion in his horse tone. "Why?"

"I don't know, I texted him a few times since summer ended." She brought a hand to brush loose pieces out of her face. "He, uh, never writes back."

"Yeah, no, I mean, he's probably just busy with senior year stuff." Conrad attempted to reassure her but they both knew that was far from the truth.

Juliette hissed, bringing her tongue to the side of her cheek, "Right, right, right. Or, you know, it's that he'll never get over what I did and hold it against me for the rest of our lives."