16

⋆·˚ ༘ * MARJORIE
"you're alive, you're alive in my head."

Juliette breathed out as she approached the trunk, the hit Massachusetts sun beaming down on the pair as they grabbed the few bags of groceries.

"You guys went to the store?" Conrad approached them, holding a towel as his wet hair dripped down his cheekbones.

She swallowed as she stared at him, clutching the bags even tighter. She shook her head, attempting to play if off. "Uh, we actually thought about leaving, but then we decided not to listen to you."

Conrad furrowed his eyebrows at her sudden harshness, his eyes flicking over to his brother. Jeremiah shifted his sneakers on the gravel beneath him, "We didn't just get groceries. We actually went to see Aunt Julia."

"How'd that go?" He asked, intrigued.

"Not great." Jeremiah replied flatly, his lips curling into his mouth, "Talk to dad yet?"

Conrad shook his head, stiffening up at the mention of his father. "No."

Juliette could feel the tension as she stood awkwardly. She grabbed the bag from Jeremiah's hand as she gestured towards the house. "Um, I'm-I'm gonna take these inside."

She walked into the house, leaving the two to talk as she set the bags on the counter, her arms sore. Juliette began to put the groceries away until she heard them settling down in the dining room, her curiosity getting the best of her as she wondered over.

"Dad should be calling soon." Conrad sat his phone upright, sitting across from Jeremiah as the dirty blonde shook his head.

Juliette rubbed her palms together as the two stared up at her. "Do you guys want to talk to him alone? I can wait upstairs."

"No, stay." Conrad practically interrupted her, his tone desperate. "Stay. You helped me and J get this far. Plus, it's your house as much as it is ours."

She flashed him a small closed-lip smile as she sat beside him, her hands folding on the table as his phone began to buzz, Adams contact lighting up the screen.

Conrad clicked the accept button before leaning closer to his phone. "Dad, hey."

"Hey, Con." Adams voice came clear on the other side, hearing him shift. "I only got about a few minutes here."

"Hey, dad." Jeremiah spoke up, letting his presence be known as he stared blankly at Conrad.

Adam paused for a few seconds in confusion. "Jere? You're in Cousins, too?"

"Yeah, I just got here last night." Jeremiah told his father, his elbows hitting the table silently.

"All right, look, I got a heads-up from the bank telling me you're trying to access your trust." The line fell silent as Adam sighed. "That's not gonna happen."

"So you've already made up your mind?" Conrad asked, his brows coming together as wrinkles appeared in the middle of his forehead.

Adam groaned in frustration, attempting to reason with his sons. "Yeah. I mean, that money is for your future. I'm not gonna let you blow it on a beach house."

"It's not just a house, Dad." Jeremiah nearly whined.

"You want me to beg, Dad?" Conrad but his bottom lip. "'Cause I will. I will. I'll do whatever you want..."

Juliette stayed silent, knowing it wasn't her place to bargain with Mr. Fisher. Her eyes tracing the many lines on the dining room table as her thoughts drifted.

"There is a time for everything and a season for every
activity under the heavens." The pastors voice echoed throughout the church. "And a time to die. A time to plant and a time to uproot."