25

⋆·˚ ༘ *CRUEL SUMMER
"you say that we'll just screw it up in these trying times."

Juliette groaned as the sun beamed off the side of her face, she covered her warm cheek with her palm, Jeremiah asleep beside her.

The birds chirped loudly, the sprinkler ratcheting as they grass became soaked. The teenagers slowly awoke at all of the noise and bright light coming from the sky.

"What is going on out here?" A woman's voice asked, the fancy attire clothing her body. They all jolted up, especially Cam.

"Mom." He fumbled to stand, tripping over his own feet. "Hi. I'm so sorry. Um... They... they needed a place to stay because they lost their house."

The woman stared blankly at the half-awake teenagers, shaking her head at her son. "Cam..."

"Um... I'll clean everything up, I swear." He panicked, pleading with his mother. Steven nodded, "We'll clean everything."

His mother just hummed. "Make sure to return the cart." She walked off, leaving the group to scurry, grabbing the makeshift beds to return them.

Juliette rubbed her eyes as they finished cleaning, walking back to the two cars out front. She laid her head on Jeremiah's passenger seat window, feeling the car engine rattle.

She must've dozed off because Jeremiah's was shaking her away gently. She whined, brushing her hair from her face as she opened the car door. The hot summer air brutal.

Aunt Julia and the realtor spoke amongst themselves, closing Susannah's front door behind them as they locked up. The woman lifted her head, clearing her throat. "Look who it is."

"I'll handle it." Aunt Julia sighed, her wrinkled forehead scrunching together. "We'll be in touch."

The woman got into her car, driving off quickly. Conrad stood with his arms crossed, staring at his aunt.

"Oh, I wish you boys had gone home when I asked you to." She shook her head, disappointed.

"You're not getting us to abandon our house, Julia." Conrad argued, his brows snapping together.

She exhaled deeply, pinching the bridge of her nose as she stepped off the thin porch. "It's not your house, Conrad." Julia paused, averting her eyes. "And, um... it won't be mine for long, either."

"Julia, please. We have an idea, okay?" Jeremiah attempted to plead with the woman, backing his brother.

"A buyer has made an offer on the house and I've
officially accepted it. I have to go to Boston to
finalize the details, but, um, it's done. The house is sold." Aunt Julia revealed with a small shrug, watching the teens seemingly wither away at the news.

Juliette brought a hand to her face, sighing softly with defeat. She look forth to Conrad, her eyes tracing his still body. He stayed silent, she spoke up. "You-you sold this house in the last hours?"

She nodded, unbothered. "Yes. To a-a lovely
family with three children and some kind of a poodle mix."

"Well, it can't just be over." Jeremiah's shoulders slumped, his eyes large.

"It is. Uh, I'm gonna need your keys, please." Aunt Julia gave the two boys a once-over, clutching the shoulder-strap of her bag tightly.

Conrad chuckled, his head shaking. "I'll bet you're
really enjoying this."

"Mom, don't do this." Skye stepped forward, their eyes pleading.

Aunt Julia parted her lips, taken aback. "Skye, really?"
Her eyes wandered over to her nephews. "I told you two that I was selling the house. You just refused to believe it. And I'm not enjoying it, but I will admit that I'm relieved it's finally over." They stayed silent. "Come on, Skye. Excuse me."