35

⋆·˚ ༘ *PICTURE TO BURN
"state the obvious, i didn't get my perfect fantasy
i realize you love yourself more than you could ever love me."

Juliette faced Laurels backside, her brows furrowed as she watched the older woman stare out at the dock. She approached her, placing a hand on her shoulder.

Laurel jumped, blinking rapidly, tears in her eyes. "Oh, Julie. You scared me."

"I'm sorry." Juliette laughed softly, her eyes gazing out at the water. "God, that dock holds to many memories."

"You can say that again." The woman chuckled. "Hey, what's going on between you and Connie?"

Juliette furrowed her brows. "Uh, nothing. We're broken up. I'm just trying to be there for him."

"That's nice of you." Laurel smiled. "I remember when you two broke up...you were at my house for a week. You actually ate my whole box of pop tarts."

"Oh, shush." Juliette swatted, laughing. "I was heartbroken."

Laurel hummed, placing a hand on her back. "That boy is still head over heels for you. He always will be."

"Maybe." Juliette shrugged, she nibbled on her bottom lip. "But I can't keep letting him hold me back from
moving on."

"Good." Laurel squeezed her tightly, the sounds of footsteps had their heads turning.

Conrad, Belly, Jeremiah and Steven appeared from the back gate, laughing together. Laurel reached for her phone. "We just need to do one more thing."

The five of them stood on the dock, Juliette stood between Jeremiah and Conrad, always. She glanced up at Jere, smiling softly before looking towards Conrad. His jaw was clenched, his lips in a sly smile.

She glanced back at Laurel, smiling widely for the picture as the camera clicked.

"Love it. Okay." Laurel stared at the picture with a large grin, the teenagers crowding around the phone to see.

Juliette frowned in awe. "Oh, that's so cute!"

Belly wrapped an arm around her best friend, the two walking off the dock, laughing and clamoring. Liam waiting for the group back at the cars.

Juliette smiled at her father, Bellys arm slinging back to her side. She walked up to him. "Hey, dad."

"Hey." Liam grinned, his eyes flickering to the rest of them walking out from the yard. He held out the cup of coffee to his daughter.

"Oh, thanks." She cocked a brow at his sweet gesture, taking it from him.

He nodded with his brows raised. "Thought you guys could use some caffeine for your drive to Brown." He opened his backseat, bringing out two more cups as he handed it to the Fisher Brothers.

"Wait..." Juliette trailed off, confused.

"You should finish what you started." Liam shrugged. "I know how much this means to you. More importantly, I know how much they mean to you. I don't want to keep holding you back."

Juliette smiled largely, throwing her arms around her father tightly. "Thank you."

"Yeah, yeah." He patted her back. "Oh, that doesn't mean you're off the hook for lying to me. Neither is Belly."