41

*ੈ✩‧₊˚EXILE
...

Juliette's sneakers hit the pavement hard as she glanced around the seemingly empty motel lot, broad daylight. She stopped when she saw the backpack thrown on the ground, his arm sticking out from around the corner.

She breathed deeply, her hands shaking with tears bundling in her eyes, she kneeled before him before sitting on her bottom, leaning against the wall across from him.

Conrad glanced up, bloodshot eyes with tears in them. He was quick to bring his hand up and wipe them, a confused look replacing his hurt one. "Jules? What are you doing?"

"I could never live with myself knowing I let you walk away like that. Not again." Juliette shook her head, bringing her knees to her chest.

Conrad flickered his eyes between hers. "I'm hurt. A lot. But it doesn't matter anymore. We both need to let this go."

"I know." Juliette said flatly, her chest rising as she broke their eye-contact, staring at the small pebbles littering the concrete.

"But, I, uh..." Conrad begin, his mouth shutting as she spoke.

Juliette extended her legs, furrowing her brows. "Did you know that I went to see your mom after we broke up?"

"I didn't." Conrad licked his lips.

"Yeah. It was exactly a week before she died." Juliette paused at the memory. "I made her a promise. But it wasn't only to her, it was for myself, too. I promised her I wouldn't let you push me away or I wouldn't abandon you."

Conrad scrunched his face up with pain, rolling his bottom lip into his mouth. "I didn't know that. She didn't tell me."

"I figured." Juliette nodded. "I know this is a lot for you to take in right now. I need you to be honest with me, Connie."

"I am." Conrad shrugged, adjusting the flannel falling down his shoulder. "Look, you're not my mine anymore...so I don't have anything to defend. I should've known."

Juliette knitted her brows together. "Conrad..."

"I'm not your problem anymore." Conrad dropped his shoulders, resting his wrists on his knees as he stared at her. "So who I am offending now?"

"We always walked a very thin line, huh?" Juliette tilted her head to the side, her lips in a flat line. She exhaled, sitting up more. "You know, you didn't even hear me out."

"You didn't even hear me out." Conrad repeated, chuckling lightly.

Juliette parted her lips at his defensiveness. "You never gave a warning sign. How was I supposed to know it was gonna end like that."

Conrad blinked, his voice hoarse. "I gave so many signs."

"Even after everything I never learned how to read your mind." Juliette smiled softly, feeling a salty tear run down her pink cheek.

"You never did learn how. A lot of people don't. Sometimes I don't." Conrad shrugged, his head falling back against the white brick. "I couldn't turn things around."

Juliette breathed again, fiddling with her hands. "You never turned things around but neither did I. 'Cause I thought you didn't give me any signs. I had no idea."

"I gave so many signs." Conrad nodded. "So many signs." He repeated, lower.

Juliette dropped her head, the sound of a larger vehicle pulling up had them turning their heads. The bus parked in front of the motel, letting people off.

Conrad stood, grabbing his things as Juliette helped herself off the ground, dusting herself off.

"I should, uh, go." Conrad gestured towards the bus, taking a hand through his hair before turning his back to her.

"Wait, Conrad." Juliette called out, making him spin back. "For what it's worth..." Her voice cracked as she began to cry. "I really wanted it to be you. I wanted it to to be you. And I'm scared it'll always be you."

Juliette couldn't face him any longer, instead turning away from him and walking quickly to the opposite side of the motel. She knew he wouldn't follow. He didn't.

Tears pooled down her face as she fell against the white brick wall, more vending machines surrounding her.

"Jules!" Jeremiah's worried voice echoed as he hurried over to her, dropping to his knees as he placed hand on her head.

She picked her head up, wiping her eyes quickly, ridding of the wet tears. "Jere, I'm fine."

"What happened?" Jeremiah asked, helping her up.

Juliette shook her head. "I'm just super stressed. You know, with volleyball and school starting up soon. And just everything. I'm fine, really. We should get going, yeah?"

The two got into Conrad's Range. Juliette stared out of the passenger window before glancing over to the drivers seat. Conrad's side-profile concentrating on the road before glancing to her, smiling largely at her.

Juliette blinked, seeing the freckles adoring Jeremiah's tan skin. She huffed, rubbing her eyes. "Hey, uh, my stomach hurts...I'm gonna lie down in the back until we're there."

Jeremiah nodded with a small smile, kissing her once more on the head as she climbed into the backseat, Jeremiah continuing to drive.

She shuffled through the things in her bag before pulling out the small book in her backpack. She smiled to herself while opening the pages, reading through them.

Juliette brought the pen to the lined paper, writing her circling thoughts.

It was exhausting. This whole thing was exhausting. Loving him was exhausting. The things that hurt most are the little things. Your old T-shirt hanging in my closet, the linger of your cologne, the picture of us on my wall, and your necklace that's still in my pocket. I will move on with my life and try not to wonder how you're doing. But I'm worried I'll be endlessly troubled just from loving you. I hope you get everything you've ever wanted in life and God I hope I never hear about it.

"We're here, Julie." Jeremiah cleared his throat, taking her out of her trance as she nodded. She smoothed her clothes, before tucking the journal back into her bag. "You ready?"

"Yeah." She smiled.

THE END

AUTHORS NOTE<3
the biggest thank you to every single one of you that have read this book and the first. i hope you enjoyed it as much as i did.
i'm sure i'll be back but for now it's time for a little break 💛
take care of yourself and thank you. i love you
YOU MATTER!