36

⋆·˚ ༘ *I WISH YOU WOULD
"you always knew how to push my buttons
you give me everything and nothing
this mad, mad love makes you come running
to stand back where you stood
i wish you would, i wish you would."

Juliette's eyes were glued to the scenery as Jeremiah put the car in park. He smiled to himself watching her face light up as she gawked at the college.

The two exited the car, their arms brushing as Jeremiah led them. 20 minutes had passed and Juliette had been in awe, Jeremiah's phone capturing this memory.

Her head tilted as she pressed her hand against the glass, staring down at the volleyball trophy's adorning the shelfs.

"Picturing one with your name on it?" Jeremiah asked with a small laugh, standing over her shoulder.

She nodded, biting her bottom lip as she glanced up at the large gymnasium. She grabbed him hand despite his protests as she led him into the gym.

"I don't think we're supposed to be in here." Jeremiah cleared his throat, looking around.

"Come on, Jere." She laughed, grabbing his hands. "Usually you're the one that tells me to live a little, yeah?"

Jeremiah chuckled softly, his eyes following her every move. She sighed, her eyes scanning over the nets and championships hanging low from the ceiling.

"Do you ever miss playing?" Jeremiah asked.

"All the time." She nodded with a sad smile. "It's the one thing that got me out of my head. I mean, I'll never be the smartest person:;Steven. But, volleyball...it was my thing."

Jeremiah nodded, taking in her words. "It'll always be your thing. You're great at it, Julie. And if you really wanted to, you could play here."

"In my dreams." She muttered, thinking back to her last moments on the court. "I could see myself here. You know, I think I might just go to camp. It's the least I can do for closure."

"Agreed." He nodded, standing in front of her with his hands in his pockets. "And selfishly, I'd like to see you play here, too. Two of us running around campus.
Me going to all your games. Late-night study sessions.
Two a.m. pizza."

Juliette's cheeks flushed red as she laughed, nodding her head. Their eyes locked, intimately. She breathed, licking her lips as she glanced at the doors.

"We should head back." Jeremiah insisted, leading her out.

The car ride back to Brown was completely silent, other than the small tune playing on the radio in the background.

Jeremiah put the car in park, getting out with a clenched jaw. He leaned on the front of Conrad's truck. Juliette tucked her hair behind her ear before doing the same, joining him.

She glanced over at his side, his emotions clear. "Jere..."

"You know, I always think about giving you a second chance." He confessed, squinting his eyes. "If you would even want one. But...if I fall for you again... I-I don't think I can take it if you change your mind like last time."

Juliette felt her face fall, her lips parting as the hurt flashed across his features. His lips turned down. "Jeremiah, I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you and I wouldn't do that to you. Not again. After everything we went through last summer...we're not the same. We're grown up. Can I be honest?"