13

⋆·˚ ༘ * COLD AS YOU
"you put up walls and paint them all a shade of gray."

"You'd think someone would have invented an easier system by now." Juliette sighed as she leaned in Jeremiah's doorway, watching him lay flat on his back with a long sigh leaving his lips.

He sat up, leaning back on his elbows. "If I wasn't so fucking tired,I'd probably leave tonight. My mom would always fix everything up before we got here."

"Yeah. The house feels different without her in it." Juliette shifted her feet, walking further into his room.

"I'm still so pissed at Conrad. I mean, what is he even
talking about with this whole house thing?" Jere rolled his eyes, shaking his head in anger.

Juliette breathed out, crossing her arms over her chest as she stared at him. "I think it's for real."

"Shit." Jeremiah sighed, falling back onto the bed.

She laughed softly at his laziness, tilting her head to the side. "You're just going to sleep on it like that, aren't you?"

"Yep." Jeremiah replied flatly. Juliette smiled at him gently before heading towards the door, his voice making her halt. The parallel sending shivers down her spine as she faced him. "Hey, Julie. Um, thank you for coming with me. I don't know what went down between you and Conrad, but I know it couldn't
be easy to be here." He paused, watching her tense up. "I'm glad I don't have to do this alone."

Juliette flashed him an appreciative smile with a nod. "Yeah, I'm glad I came, too."

She heard the door click behind as she shut her, grabbing the untouched floral sheets from the closet. Her heart throbbing as she her palm over them, bringing them to her room.

Juliette sighed as she finished making her bed, crouching down to open the draws. Her lips turning to a frown as she felt the black one piece.

She slipped in on before heading towards the dimly light pool, diving head first into the warm water, completely forgetting about everything.

As she resurfaced, her eyes laid on the silhouette at the edge of the pool, swinging their legs in the water. Conrad.

"Do you still pretend you're in the Olympics?" Conrad broke their silence, staring at her with intensity.

She bobbed in the water, her wet ends sticking to her skin. "Uh, no. Not anymore."

"When you swim, I don't think you'd notice if the house was on fire." Conrad noted in admiration, smiling softly at her. "You're so into what you're doing. You're so into what your doing."

Juliette could feel her stomach whirl as their eyes stayed locked. She faltered, looking down at the clear waters. "That's what I like about it."

Before he could answer she dove away from him, swimming towards the bottom. She came up, panting for air, turning her head over her shoulder, expecting to see him sitting there, but he was gone.

She furrowed her brows, looking for him. He vanished, she threw her head back with a groan.

Jeremiah had come into her room the next morning, waking her up. She brushed her fingers through her ends as she rubbed her eyes, following him down the stairs.

"I know. But you're sure there's no way to access
my trust without him?" Conrad said angrily, the two appearing into the kitchen. His phone clutched in his hand, pressing to his ear. "No, I haven't... talked
to him about it just yet. But, um, it won't be a problem.
He's calling soon and I'll get him to sign off.
Okay. Yeah. Thank you."