8

⋆·˚ ༘ * GETAWAY CAR
"it was the best of times, the worst of crimes"

Sneaking out was easier then Juliette imagined. She always pictured having to climb out of a window and down the brick side of her house. Truth was, her dad was a heavy sleeper and couldn't care less.

She didn't even bother to glance up to make sure all the lights were off as she scurried down her front driveway, weaving between the parked cars until she saw the Range Rover.

Juliette ran her fingers through her freshly brushed hair, the scent of coconut radiating from it. She breathed deeply before opening the passenger door, sliding in as they heat hit her.

The air was cold, it was the ending of December. Christmas lights and decorations spread in every corner of her small town in Pennsylvania.

"Hi." She greeted him, staring at him with big eyes. Almost in disbelief, she could be pinched a million times and she'd still think this was a dream.

His fingers came to adjust the fan speed, the car growing warmer. "Hey."

"I can't believe you're here." She rested the back of her head on the headrest. She couldn't take her eyes off of him.

"Yeah, me neither." He smiled. His eyes grazing her appearance, his brows coming together at the button-up sweater. "You didn't bring a coat?"

Juliette looked down, bringing her fingertips to tug at the bottom of the fleece cardigan as she shrugged. "Uh, I forgot, but I'm not cold."

"Here put this on."Conrad began to lift his dark gray quarter-zip over his head, revealing the red flannel beneath it. The material had been so thick that his head had gotten caught in it, she giggled as he struggled. He threw her his sweater as he blushed, running a hand through his messy brown hair.

She didn't hesitate to slip it on with eyes, fixing the zipper as he started to drive down her street, her sight following the bright lights littering the town.

Conrad stared at her side as he flicked his eyes between the road and her. He chuckled to himself causing her to look over with furrowed brows, "Want to go to the beach?"

The smile on his lips appeared at those six words leaning his lips. She shook her head rapidly, "Yeah!"

She glanced out of the window, fingerprints littering the glass as she sighed, looking down at her phone, her thumb hovering over her fathers contact. She hated public transportation.

Staying at Taylor's for a few days. Her and Milo broke up, be home soon.

Juliette shut her phone off as the tires rolled to a short stop. Her heart was in her throat as she stepped off the bus. The campus was full of students, faculty, but no sign of the Fishers.

She held the two cups off coffee in her hand. A peace offering. Juliette knew a cup of coffee wouldn't make up for what she did, but it was all she could do for now. She clicked Jeremiah's contact.

"Hey." He answered.

Juliette walked across the quad, her eyes scanning every person she passed. "Hey, um, I'm here."

"Where?" He asked, she could hear chatter around him.

"Uh." Juliette looked around, not seeing a single sign. She shrugged, holding the extra cup of coffee in the crook of her elbow, "On campus somewhere. Are you not...?"