14

⋆·˚ ༘ * TIED TOGETHER WITH A SMILE
"hold on, baby, you're loosing it."

Juliette blinked with a shake of her head, facing Jeremiah as he stared at her with concern. "Uh, Conrad may have listened to me at one point,
but I don't think he cares what I think anymore."

"Mm." Jeremiah hummed as her demeanor switched. She laughed awkwardly, tucking her hair behind her ear as she tapped her fingers.

"I'm hungry. Are you... you hungry?" Juliette asked, clearly changing the subject as she opened the pantry. She froze as her eyes lingered on the tub of hot cocoa, dust littering the top. She swallowed, taking it out of the cabinet before tossing it into the trash. "Man, Susannah used to have this place filled to the brim before we got here."

Jeremiah shifted at the mention of his mother. "I can get something. Can make some frittatas. The grocery store is right next to Ocean Harbor."

Juliette's eyes fell to him, narrowing as she approached him. "We're going to find Aunt Julia?"

"We're going to find Aunt Julia." Jeremiah confined, holding his fist up for a fist bump. Juliette tapped her knuckles against his as she hurried to her dressed.

She brushed her hair, leaving it down and straight, throwing on a tank top and shorts as Jeremiah hurried her, wanting to leave before Conrad had come back.

The two got into Jeremiah's Jeep, he placed a bouquet in a vase on her lap, she furrowed her brows at the blue flowers as he backed out.

"So what's our game plan with Julia, huh?" She cocked a brow at him, the floral scent clogging her nose. "Sneak attack? Bribery? Murder?"

"Wow. Um..." Jeremiah chuckled at her vulgarness, "I was thinking that we just play to my strengths."

She hummed, leaning back into the passenger seat. "So charm offensive. Hence the flowers."

"Exactly." He nodded. "You know, I wish I had more to go on, but she and my mom weren't exactly close." Jere explained, pausing for a moment. "I mean, the last time I saw her and Skye, I was probably, like, seven, eight years old."

"That's a long time." Juliette giggled lightly, peering out of the window before looking back at Jere. "You know, I remember Susannah telling me that it was her big sister who convinced her that she could be an artist."

Jeremiah's eyebrows raised in surprise. "Really?
You know, honestly, I don't really remember much about her, so I'll-I'll just wing it. And knowing Conrad, he probably took the righteous anger route when he talked with her."

Juliette rolled her bottom lip into her mouth, her hands clutching the flowers tightly as she murmured. "Yeah, Conrad's never been good at putting on a happy face when he's not feeling it." Her temple resting against the car window.

"Laurel, you-you got, you got a full-body shot, right?" Susannah's voiced echoed, the iPad propped up against the fireplace. The group of teens laughed as Laurel held up the phone. "And-and I want, I want the back of Belly's hair, not just the front."

Juliette leaned her head against Conrad with a beaming smile, his hands laying flat against her stomach, the light purple dress completing her skin tone.

"Beck." Laurel laughed softly, attempting to quiet her down.

"I'm sorry, Laurel, but you suck at taking pictures." Susannah shot back, the group breaking into laughter once more. "Let me see their corsages."

Juliette glanced down at her bare resting, nothing but a gold chain bracelet, she held his wrist, cocking her head up at him. "Do you, do you... ?"

"Shit." Conrad cursed, his face falling drastically. "I don't have your corsage. I must have left it in my dorm fridge."

"It's okay." Juliette reassured quietly, ignoring the sad pit growing in her stomach as she tapped his hand, feeling Taylor and Belly's eyes lingering on the two.

"Beck, it's time for them to head out. I'm gonna get a couple last pics, okay?" Laurel explained, walking over to the electronic. "And I'm heading up to you tomorrow, first thing."

Juliette stayed on the steps, waiting for Laurel to return as she glanced over at Conrad, his face twisted with pain. "You okay?"

"I'm so sorry I forgot." Conrad apologized, the guilt in his voice made her frown. "I should've remembered it."

"Don't worry about the corsage." Juliette shook her head, attempting to sooth him as she held his arm. "You'll just have to get me two corsages next year to make up for it. Wear one on each wrist."

Conrad forced a smile, nodding. "Whatever you want."

authors note<3
short chapter bc prom deserves its own.
heartbroken.