17

⋆·˚ ༘ * SWEET NOTHINGS
"i found myself running home to your sweet nothings."

Juliette stepped through the doorway of the living room, the teenagers spreading out on the couches. Conrad stood still, his hands on his hips as he glanced around the room.

"So, how's Jere?" Juliette asked, clicking her tongue as she stood beside the brunette boy.

He glanced over towards her. "You know, I think he's okay." He nodded with his lips turning up slightly. "I told him we're not giving up."

"Good." She smiled largely at him, kid like. Her elbow hitting his playfully. "'Cause we're not."

Juliette could feel his stare linger on her backside as she walked over towards the couch, sitting beside Jeremiah.

"Oh, uh, I ordered pizza."Jeremiah informed them, shifting over, allowing more room for Juliette. "It should be like minutes, but I only ordered one with pineapple, so I call dibs on two slices, all right?"

"Jeremiah, I think that's all you." Conrad teased, causing the group to burst out in laughter.

Jere parted his lips with his hands slightly in the air, the offended look lingering on his features. "What?"

"Uh, so what do you guys want to watch?" Conrad asked, his eyes darting around the sprawled out teenagers.

Juliette lifted the old DVD in his hand, cocking her head back at the brunette. "I was thinking It Happened One Night."

Conrad snatched it from her hand as he drifted over to the Tv. He placed the movie into the busted DVD player. His head lifted, his eyes meeting hers as his lips curled into a small smile, his head nodding at her.

Juliette could feel the brush creep to her cheeks as she bit her bottom lip, the black and white lights flashing in the living room.

The movie began to play, Juliette leaned back into the couch cushion, watching the film intently.

Conrad phone buzzed, her gaze peering over to him, nonchalantly. He glanced down at his phone, his face paling. Conrad stood up from his spot, creeping out from the room and out the side door.

Juliette lingered in her spot for a few seconds before following him. She walked feet behind him, allowing space between them as they stumbled onto the beach.

Conrad bent over as he got to the water, his hand on his heart as he gasped for air.

"Conrad?" She called out to him as she stood behind him. "Conrad, what's going on?"

"Panic attack." He replied through gasps. "I'll be fine."

Juliette rolled her lips into her mouth, the sand squeaking beneath her shoes. "Should I go get Jere or Steven?"

"No. Don't." Conrad replied immediately, his body still facing the water. "Just talk."

"Um, talk, right. Um..." Juliette exhaled, staring at his back. "The beach. The first time you guys brought me here to surf, Con, I was so scared. I felt like such a little
kid. But you stayed and paddled with me till we caught a wave together while Jere and Steven went all the way out. I thought you were the coolest person in the world."

Conrad was silent, his crystal eyes watching the waves crash at his feet. "I guess you were wrong about that one."

Juliette shook her head, getting closer to him, their elbows touching. He peered down at her side profile as she stared at the shore. "No." Her eyes met his. "You're still the coolest. You have these a lot?"

"Yeah." He admitted shyly. "More since my mom
died." Conrad paused for a moment, his chest heaving. "I'm glad you're here."

The corners of her mouth rose into a smile as she swallowed. "So, you want to tell me what got you all worked up? Or we can pretend this never happened."

"I got into Stanford." Conrad admitted, his hands coming to his hips.

Juliette's lips parted as her eyes widened. "Conrad, what? Are you serious?"

"Yeah." He nodded, seeing the excitement on her face for him. "My mom had this fantasy about me finding myself on the West Coast."

"Connie, this a good thing." Juliette laughed lightly, the admiration in her eyes as she stared up at him. "You've been dreaming about Stanford since we were kids, like, ten years old."

Conrad nodded, his Adam's apple bobbing. "I know... but things are just starting to get better with Jere, and he's going to Finch in the fall, which is close to Brown." He halted his words, breathing deeply. "It just doesn't make sense to transfer anymore..."

"Hey, Con, Con." Juliette interrupted him, standing before him as she took his hands into hers, an instinct. "You don't have to decide this second or anything, okay? Talk to Jere."

Conrad didn't flinch away from her touch, instead letting his hands sit in hers. "He doesn't even know I applied, Julie."

"So..." Juliette trailed off with a small shrug.

"Please don't tell him." Conrad nearly begged.

Juliette nodded, ignoring the lump in her throat from his intense stare. "I... I mean, Stanford's not even an Ivy." Conrad's face twisted with confusion. "So fuck 'em, right?"

His bright teeth flashed at her as he dropped her hand, bringing it to her hair, messing up her dirty blonde locks. She giggled, shoving his hand away.

The two's laughter died down, the sounds of the waves crashing hitting the sand echoed. The feeling of deja vu made her skin crawl with chills.

"Um..." Juliette could feel her stomach whirl with butterflies. "Whatever decision you make, I'll support you, Con. You've always known what's best."

Conrad furrowed his brows lightly. "Thank you, Jules."

Juliette nodded, she could feel her bottom lip quiver. She wrapped her arms around his neck, his chin resting on his clothed shoulder. Conrad froze at her affection, soon, falling into the hug as he wrapped his arms around her back, his head falling into the crook of her neck.

Juliette could feel the tears in her eyes as they held one another. His scent filling her nose until she couldn't smell the saltwater any longer. She barely breathed, scared he'd falter and slip away, again.

authors note<3
yk already know i had to add my
own twisty on this. my babies