ACCISMUS- CHAPTER 26~ OCD

26

Espionosa Company Limited was like any other day. Fiona had gone out few times and retuned and she still reported to her that Dwhyte hadn't arrived as yet. The entire finance committee was under hot water as the man's unexpected leave had disrupt workflow, Catherine's thoughts went back to the other night.

The intense intimate session, they spoke for few a minutes and the long drive afterwards. Dwhyte told her about his divorce with his ex-wife. Catherine felt bad as she saw the way he acted when she pried. His answered were justifiable but that might've pushed him a little too far.

The whole act of intimacy with someone else after being in a committed relationship freaked him out and worst that they were work colleagues made it even more of a cliché.

Bakers Jones from HR wasn't having it as he stood in her office. His expression of great judgment as he complained about the entire Accounting and Financial Department, nonetheless she didn't have a problem with it. She had never found much of an issue with Dwhyte, he did his work, went over board to ensure that very thing was matching and accurate. Bakers Jones complained that the entire Accounting department especially have a level of arrogance though she didn't see that. She knew most of her co-worker didn't like Dwhyte and he really didn't seem to mind.

"Okay Mr. Jones. I have heard your queries and will look into them. I'll reach out to Mr. Darin as well. I don't think he'd go hiatus without much of a notice."

It was dismissed. The man left through the front door, she debated whether or not to call. She internally hoped he was doing okay. Didn't bother to call as maybe it will only make him more nervous, if that's even the anxiety. Because she low-key knew he suffered from that.

Shit, this was the reason why employee relations was off limits. It only affected work and productivity. And now, as a superior having a romantic relationship with her subordinate was forbidden. What if he accused her of harassment? Worst if he saw the opportunity and went with it?

No, Dwhyte ain't like that.

She went back to work. The battery light for his work computer blinked as his office door was ajar. It was obvious sign that it was in need of charging. His office was neat, pens colour coded, she was afraid to shift anything out of place.

Second day went to third, then the entire work week. By then Catherine Espionosa felt drained and demotivated, her drive for work seeped down the gutter as she picked up the phone. She gave him time but it was proven to be more than enough. After such an intense night where she felt like they have somewhat progressed in their pursuit, she felt back at square one. She didn't appreciate being ghosted. For one, he did call her at the most non-opportune times.

Dwhyte didn't even call her, very unlike him. He normally called at weird hours, sometimes just to say good night which made her question if he actually sleep at all.

She smiled sadly and placed the phone at her ear. Enough was enough. Again, it went to voicemail. Catherine went home with a heavy heart. She was surprised to find her friends there and waiting. They accommodated space for her in the middle as she rested her head on one of the shoulders, unaware of who.

"He's not answering and I'm worried about him." she said numbly, that night as her friends consoled her, she felt nothing but trepidation.

She was awoken on the couch, one of the girls must've covered her up. She woke up and left for the office. And in just a small amount of time, news have spread around office. Espionosa was in the general lounge, a few of the employees were gathered just about outside as they indulged in a conversation.

"Girl, I heard he was in an eight year relationship with a serious ass woman." She didn't recognize the voice but the individual was opinionated. "I literally watched it played out the day he was served papers. If looks could kill I knew someone would be six foot under." They said with a laugh, it irritated Catherine. "I heard she was a hard nut."

"Child, the other day I watched him leave the office like late. I got paper works that needed to be completed. I almost though he was out to kidnap me."

"You wish."

"How do you know?" The laughing erupted. "It wouldn't even be kidnap. I'd willingly go with him. Like, just take me Sir!" They laughed again. The workers bickered amongst themselves. She was employing people to get task done, not to talk about others, especially on her time.

Catherine was tired of calling as the phone didn't even ring. She tried again, she felt her hope shattered at the long pause, her body shifted when she heard the male's voice, the level of happiness she had in that moment could sweeten tea.

"Hello." She heard the labored breathing, voice course and if he hadn't spoken in a very long time.

'Darin." Was all she said, just that one word meant everything.

"Are you-"she didn't even get the chance to finish, he responded, though he didn't sound too happy.

"I'm good. You?"

She felt the device gave off a scratchy sound like the phone was passed, a female voice spoke which made her heart stopped.

"Hello." she said, she heard mumbling in the background. 'This is the woman you've been secretive about." The tone playful and very much teasing, Catherine then smiled, flattered that he had been talking about her.

"Hi, nice to officially meet you. I'm Dwhyte's best friend."

"Nice to meet you too."

Dwhyte watched the Vern spoke with Catherine, the two would get along well. He knew that. He knew that Catherine would be as anonymous as possible as she tend to be like that. Vern gazed at him concern, Cat must've asked a question, he nodded and she seemed happy to run with it. Vern ended the call.

"She'll be coming in a while." He nodded and rested further on the pillows, material made his skin itch, must've been laundered in a lot of bleach. Vern sat down on a chair by his bedside, Dwhyte was nonverbal for a long minute. She noticed that his eyes were slightly lidded and didn't have that light anymore. He had been staring at the door for a long time, like someone was going to barge in and raise havoc.

Her spirit cried for Dwhyte as she prayed that whoever had done something like this, even her own sister, would be put to justice. No human being deserved to be treated this way. Esther came by that evening. Dwhyte immediately rested on his side, his back turned towards her. She remained composed at first which made the others feel like she would've been sympathetic and try to console him. But it turned out to be wrong, as she spat claps at him.

"You're nothing but a Jezebel. An abomination, you're disgusting and defiled my home. A complete disgrace to mankind."

"Security!" Vern shouted. "Nurse!"

"You deceived my daughter. You corrupted all my children!"

And even with his back turned, Dwhyte felt like if she had smite him, he was so unfazed and numb enough to not feel a thing. The nurses were quick to the rescue when their attention were bought to the pandemonium. She was ushered out, and in rebellion Esther knocked over his belongings, his stuff fall and rolled all over the heavily bleached floors. Vernice was quick to be at his side and she rubbed his shoulders soothingly.

She heard the knock at the door first, she squeezed his shoulder, Dwhyte took a deep breath and smiled, she ensured that he adjusted his posture and appearance and bought a smile to his face when deep down he was spiraling.

"Is he okay?" He recognized Catherine's voice, Vern didn't disclose but thought it would be authentic for him to be the one to answer.

"I'll leave you too to talk." she further added, with a gentle smile and an accepting hug and she was out the door.