ACCISMUS- CHAPTER 2~ UNCOUTH

The duo sat on the front porch.

It was an old school two storey house. Dwhyte was spending time with his wife's family. He pulled at his cotton sock, and played with the grey strands out of boredom. The shorts he had borrowed from his lover was slightly tight as it squeezed his legs. Her glared at her for choosing it instead of all the unisex ones she had. She seemed distanced. Dwhyte could only look outwards as his lover stared out at the kids who obliviously played in the scattered dry leaves.

Drian didn't say much, the air wasn't thick but he could feel the pregnant tension. It was their final day, and he couldn't wait for it to end. Her mother, Esther, didn't really like him and she was skilled enough to pretend, at least when she was around her daughter. Dwhyte only felt that she hated him because he was most successful than all her sons and still snatched her only daughter.

He heard the front door close, only to realize that wifey had gone inside. The kids ran up to him, a dirtied ball in Lorna's hand as she urged him to play with them. He shook his head no, it wasn't his intention to be mean. They didn't bother him when Drian was around, it made him questioned why these kids feared her so much.

Maybe Drian was he miserable aunt. He laughed.

"What's wrong?" Lorna, Drian's niece asked. She was always so kind and concern about him. She was his God-daughter anyway. Dwhyte was best friend with Felton, the child dad- Drian's brother.

"I'm doing fine Lorna. I'm just not in the mood." He smiled sadly at her, he only hoped that she could low-key left him alone. But felt guilty afterwards for projecting this much attitude towards the child who was really not to be blamed.

"He pulled out his phone and passed it to her," She immediately found a game, Dwhyte trusted her not to drop his phone. The other kids crowded her.

Adrianna came out again, this time with the wave of her hand she gestured him inside.

Dwhyte followed. He was quick to spot Esther by the kitchen stove. She was cooking up a storm, a few of his in-laws that were watching something on the television, a swift turn from Drian made the other man halted.

"Why did you tell her?"

"Tell who what?"

"Why you have to tell my mom about the miscarriage?"

"She was the one that kept asking. And I didn't mention anything. "

She bit her lips again, obviously irritated. She didn't trust it.

"Now that my business is in the streets, people will think that I'm an incompetent goat."

"I don't know what that means, babe. But miscarriages do happen and it can happen to anyone. But stop."

With a roll of her eyes she surrendered and left. Dwhyte had started to regret coming here. No one interacted with him much, other than Felton and the kids. The rest of the family was still welcoming. They didn't start conversations first, but they maintained it when it arrived. He always wondered how he would convince himself that they'll somehow at least for once, treat him better when he visit. The entire back yard is wide, lots of trees. He grinned to himself when he remembered how Drian and he used to hide and do their thing out of the eyes of everyone. It was a risky but thrilling experience.

Lorna came with his phone, Esther eyed them.

He didn't know if Drian realized or just turned a blind eye to them, it was heartbreaking. Having to constantly act unlike himself to get approval and for Esther-- especially to like him. He had gone way out of his way and no matter how, much he tried, even still after eight years, the woman would side eye and still give him one of the nastiest of stares. He literally paid to install bedroom set that was expensive as fuck. She appreciated it. He thought she would somehow change the way she viewed him. But when she learnt that it was from him and not her child she remained the same.

It was as if she was disgusted by him. And even when Adrianna showed up, oblivious of her mother's actions, she'd put on the best of fake smile that even he could see through.

"Dewey." He turned at the mention of the name. He knew she was acting. It was really impressive how she could act so rude but in such a polite way. Dwhyte could see clearly through her concealment anyways.

"Let's gather for dinner. Sit beside me my son-in-law."

She urged him and the others filled in. She was always about being a good hostess so he wasn't surprised when she asked for him to sit beside her. Her daughter frowned but didn't say anything. Dwhyte saw this as her way of separating them as much as possible.

He smiled and grabbed for his chair, Esther's ex-husband sat at the other head of the table. Dwhyte looked over his partner, who seemed lost in thought as she stared at the butter biscuits, even though there was so form of excitement to eat.

"Let us pray." She started immediately. "Lord we thank you for this lovely food you have provided. Let it can be pleasing to the stomach and digestion. In your name we pray," Everyone joined. "Amen."

Food started to pass around, the cling of utensils and people happily devoured their meals. Dwhyte reached for the collard green and spicy baked chicken. He forked up the green vegetable like spaghetti and ate, his eyes roam at random as he complimented the meal. Lorna discreetly fed the dog under the table, her droppings was intentional. Her mom, Vernice scolded her after a good few minutes of realization, but still, the child continued.

There was water, red wine and pomegranate or simple apple juice for the kids. With dinner came night. The dishes were stack-piled in the sink. Dwhyte assisted his wife while the rest of the extended family was watching something on sports channel. They could only talk in hush tones as he couldn't risk any of the nosy kids eavesdropping on their private conversation. And then they'd bring it up at the most awkward and most public times.

"You haven't said anything much." Dwhyte pointed out. Adrianna dried as the dishes were passed to her. "Are you ignoring me?" Her high pony tail shifted side to side as she stacked the dishes, her lips worded incoherent stuff mockingly. He fanned her off, washed again, and then passed to her. There was no point of talking to her when she was acting like that. Her phone notification came in, and immediately her acrylic nails slid against the screen. Grin wide and flirty as she paid attention to the message.

He still haven't said anything. Whoever said opposite attracted needed some good lashing. When she was angry: she resorted to non-verbal, Dwhyte was the exact opposite. Dwhyte needed to talk, he wanted to express himself and not go to bed with it on his mind. Adrianna wanted nothing. She didn't want to talk and could sleep until eternity and ignore the crap out of you. The silent treatment was one of the cost for his severe mental health.

"Who got you grinning in the phone like that?"

They both excused themselves from the kitchen, her phone tucked safely in the jean pocket.

"Nothing." She half turned to him. "My packages arriving tomorrow that's all."

She leaned in for a kiss. Dwhyte pulled back and reached placed the kitchen towel on the stove handle. Flabbergasted, she stared. He didn't think a stupid delivery could get her grinning and biting on her lips like that. She was lying to him and what made it confirmation was that she initiated the kiss. She never really was the one to do such things. Like she was trying to shut down whatever questions he was about to ask.

"Aight."