ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ

......

Every morning Amelia went running at 5:30, before school because she wanted to keep in shape, which meant she had to get up at the crack of dawn—something she could openly admit she hated. Sometimes she'd wake up so bored and want to stay in bed forever. Usually, when she got up and left the house everyone was asleep; even her parents who woke up considerably early.

Today definitely was one of her lazy days.

She found the courage to abandon her bed, after ten whole minutes of denial. She smoothed out her blanket and sheets and made her way downstairs to make some much-needed coffee. She looked like a zombie because of all the sleepiness her body was carrying. When her coffee was ready, she poured it into a mug and waited for it to cool. She used that time to get dressed in her oversize T-shirt and a pair of grey tracksuit bottoms. She put her shoes on and approached the door, grabbing her coffee from the kitchen counter on her way out.

It was still September so she didn't need to take a jacket with her— even at this hour of the day, the pavements were still warm as if the night had never occurred. The entire town was sleepy because of the time, the only people walking the streets were some overly-stressed workaholics who left for work two hours before their shift and drunk adults coming back from a house party or one of the local bars. Apparently, Amelia wasn't a part of either case.

Is she crazy? She is going to run early in the morning?

She could practically hear the thoughts of the bystanders. She might seem crazy to them, but she didn't care. There were some things about her appearance that she'd always felt the need to fix and by letting their opinions get to her, she wouldn't get where she wanted to be.

She'd been running for half an hour when she decided to sit in a park to get some rest. The sun was already up, the scorching light and the golden rays painting the sky like it was a blank canvas in desperate need of some color. She checked her watch and realized it was time to go back home and get ready for school.

She started walking down the familiar street, exhausted and sweaty from all the running. Her heart was beating really fast, her breaths coming out heavily. She hated it when she got tired so easily. Sometimes, she even wished she was a werewolf, like Derek. He never got tired.

[-]

Amelia opened the door to a sleepy Derek leaning on the counter, making coffee. His hair was a mess and his black, heavy-lidded eyes were hardly open.

"Where were you?" he asked with his heavy, morning voice as he turned to face her.

"I had gone for my morning workout remember? I was doing that the whole summer."

"No shit Sherlock," he said ironically "I just thought that you would stop waking up so early now because of the school."

"That's not gonna happen, Derek. You know, there are so many good-looking boys at school so—" she teased, smirking and he interrupted her before she was done.