ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴᴛᴇᴇɴ

......

Amelia ran to her home, making the distance between her house and Allison's seem less than two minutes. Her heart was beating so fast, she could barely breathe and her legs were shaking all the way to her house. She could easily collapse on the street and no one would notice her. She felt so weak. When she finally was outside her house, Amelia quickly dug her hand into her jeans pocket, searching for the key. She pushed open the door and closed it behind her, letting her body relax and trying to catch a breath.

"Hey, hey Amelia." Derek ran next to her hearing how fast her heartbeat was "Are you okay?" He asked worriedly. Amelia stared at his hazel eyes remembering Chris's words; tell your brother and daddy that I am coming for them. A tear ran down her cheek.

"I-I was with Allison," she said trembling, "and her dad came earlier than she had expected. He saw me with Allison, and he started y-yelling," Amelia paused remembering Chris's frustrated and angry expression "like I had hurt his daughter in the past, a-and then he told me to warn you and Alejandro t-that he is coming for you" she let out a sob and more tears started streaming down her cheek.

"Look at me," Derek placed his arms on her shoulders, "we are gonna be fine." He gave her a small smile "It's not the first time that they ran after us and it won't be the last. In case he captures us, I am sure we will survive like we did all these years, okay?" Amelia nodded, trying hard to believe Derek's words, and that he and Alejandro would be okay.

They made their way to the kitchen and Amelia sat on the table as Derek leaned on the counter, "You want me to make you dinner or something to eat?" He asked in a gentle tone.

"Just a toast," Amelia smiled softly, "I am not really hungry." Derek nodded and opened the fridge to grab the ingredients for a toast. Amelia was watching him impressed as Derek rarely cooked. It must have been the third or fourth time in all those years that she had seen him cooking something, no matter if it was something simple or not.

The smell of the melted cheese broke into Amelia's nose and suddenly she felt the desire to eat everything, even though she wasn't that hungry. Derek grabbed a plate from the upper cupboard and placed the toast on it. He passed it to Amelia, her stomach growling now.

"Thank you," she gave him a placid smile and Derek smiled softly in response, taking a seat on the table in front of Amelia.

"So," Derek began and Amelia's blue eyes met his, confused hearing the tone of his voice. "I wanted to ask you something for a while now, but I didn't have the chance to do it." She placed the toast on the plate and moved her hand in the air telling him to continue, as she had a big bite in her mouth and she couldn't speak clearly "Since the day you got out of the hospital, well, I wanted to discuss with you about–"

"About what?!" Amelia interrupted him feeling her chest burn as she wasn't ready for this conversation yet.

"No, no about what you think," he let out a soft laugh seeing Amelia's expression. Her heart was beating so fast, more than when she was nervous or in pain, and Derek could hear each beat, from the slowest to the quickest one. He arched an eyebrow at the realization of how much Amelia was trying to hide how nervous she was.