ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰɪꜰᴛᴇᴇɴ

......

Winter had come and the weather was becoming colder and frigid. Hearing the alarm, Amelia painfully dragged herself out of bed, wondering why it was still so dark. She peeked between the blinds and sighed. The sun was hiding somewhere behind a featureless gray blanket of low clouds. It was going to be yet another dreary day, with no sign of anything to break the monotony. She wished it would just snow already.

She made her bed and opened her closet, searching for what was appropriate to wear in this weather outside. She picked a black pair of jeans and a purple hoodie, placing them on her bed and making her way to the bathroom. The door was closed so Amelia assumed that her mother or Alejandro was in it, because Derek used to be awake by now, and ready to leave for school. He was the only member of the family that used to wake up before everyone else —not that he needed much sleep.

The door opened and Derek stepped outside. He was wearing only a black pair of jeans —as always.

"Morning," he said and gave Amelia a small smile. Amelia scanned him from head to toe. She had seen him several times before without a shirt, but she would always admire how fit his body was.

"Good morning," Amelia responded with the same, gentle tone. His emerald green eyes contrasted exceptionally with his light-toned face. His eyes were as deep and expressive— you could get lost if you stared long enough. His face had that faraway look in it, which could not be described in words. Often, you could see a hint of pain in his sparkling eyes, which would disappear as suddenly as he talked to his favorite person. His black, messy hair made him more attractive, something which sent shivers down Amelia's spine.

She stepped inside the bathroom quickly and closed the door, trying to catch a breath. Last summer, which they spent together, Derek was wandering in the room they had loaned all the time and she never had felt like that. As many times as she looked at him last summer, she never admired his body and how he looked, so much. All the times he hugged her and she felt his warm and hard chest on her face, she never had a reaction like that. Like she was about to lose her breath if she would see him like that again.

Maybe this was because she finally accepted those feelings without fear, shame, and guilt. Derek had heard how fast her heart was beating, he could understand that she was lost sense of how she was feeling, but he ignored it, giving her the space she needed. Letting her talk to him whenever she was ready.

Amelia threw cold water on her face, trying to compose herself. She brushed her long ginger hair and applied some light makeup. Now that it was winter she would let her hair down, as there wasn't a reason to put it up. She used to have it in a ponytail while the weather was still hot and sunny, as if it was down Amelia would get warmer and then sweat. But now it was cold outside so it was time to let it fall freely on her shoulders, making her prettier. Everyone, said to her to have her hair down as it looks really pretty.

She made her way back to her room, got dressed, and grabbed her bag to go downstairs. Alejandro had already left for work and her mother was in the kitchen preparing a small meal to take with her. Derek was sitting on the table, scrolling on his phone. Amelia approached her mother and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek, as she opened the fridge and grabbed the orange juice. She poured it into a glass and drank it. The last few days she was drinking a lot of juice as it gave her more energy during the day. That's what she said though.