ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ

......

The day had finally arrived and Ameilia was nervous the whole evening. She had never gone to prom and especially with a 'relative'. The dress was placed on her desk's chair, while her desk was a mess. Make-up products were everywhere, lipstick, mascara, eyeliner. Her mother had given her most of her products when Amelia turned sixteen, and since then she had bought even more and she still didn't know what to put on.

She was laying on her bed, hugging her legs and staring at the mess in front of her. "What am I gonna do?" She murmured. She heard a knock on the door before her mother stepped in and she felt relief while she thought it was Derek.

"What's wrong honey?" Luna asked and took a seat next to her.

"I don't know what makeup to put on, how to get ready. I mean I just.." Amelia sighed "I have never gone to the prom mom, what if I am not good enough?"

"Awe sweetheart, trust me with or without all these things you are more than enough. Like you said this is your first time going there, don't let ugly thoughts ruin this special moment. Although, you'll go with Derek, so you don't have to be afraid of anything. You know as well that he won't let anyone offend you." She lightly touched Amelia's cheek and Amelia smiled.

"Can you help me? Prom is in less than three hours." Amelia pleaded.

"Of course. Come here." Luna said as she stood up and approached Amelia's desk "At first wear the dress so we can see which color of lipstick and eyeshadow fits better."

"Is Derek ready?" Amelia asked as she took off her hoodie and unzipped her leggings. Luna passed her the dress and nodded negatively.

"He will get dressed last minute I guess." Her mom shrugged, waiting for her daughter to get ready. Once Amelia got dressed and turned around to face her mother, Luna's face lightened. She felt so grateful and proud of the girl she had in front of her. Amelia smiled awkwardly waiting for Luna to say something, but she was speechless.

She was admiring her daughter, so pretty and special. Inside she wondered what Amelia did to experience a dark truth that would chase her for the rest of her life. Sometimes Luna even blamed herself, like what if she had never met him; everything would be better. Nevertheless, if she hadn't met him she wouldn't have given birth to this beautiful and precious girl, even if the way she was born was the worst. Luna had fought to give her the life she never had as a teenager, and she had done great. Amelia had grown into a strong and powerful woman.

"If you stay like that for a few minutes more, I will start thinking that you are having a heart attack." Amelia joked and her mother snapped out of her thoughts.

"It's just that you are so perfect and I am so proud of you," Luna confessed and a tear slid on her cheek "Come here," she opened her arms and Amelia hugged her tightly. They stayed like that for a couple of minutes, before Luna pulled away and wiped all of her tears.