ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

......

Amelia is in the hospital, lying on a bed with Allison next to her. The doctors said that she broke her back and will miraculously walk again, as the damage to her back is very serious. The next day she had surgery on her back, to fix the broken bones and she knew that this would cost a lot. It was the second time in three months that she had gotten into the hospital, and this time she may be as helpless as she never was. She may also never do the things she used to do again, especially cheerleading which she loved a lot.

Amelia started moving hard on the recovery bed as Allison approached her immediately and held her hand telling her I am here, everything is going to be fine. She opened her eyes slowly and turned to face Allison. Her hazel eyes were full of worry once she saw Amelia waking up.

"Hey," she said, "I am here, I am here," still holding her hand tightly. "How are you feeling?"

"Awful," Amelia laughed as she felt her back hurt. "What happened?" She didn't remember anything. How she fell, from where, and how she found herself laying in a hospital bed, weak to move. She must have hit her head too, as she fell. It took Amelia a couple of minutes to remember.

"You fell." Allison replied, "From quite too high."

"No shit Sherlock Allison," she joked "Why else am I in this bed helpless?" It was the moment she realized how serious things were. That she could spend her whole life in a wheelchair, depending on others to feed her, dress her, help her take a bath, or to put on her bed. These thoughts made her eyes water a little.

"Amelia, you are not helpless." Allison tried to comfort her "Doctors said that you could walk again, and that's good. You were really lucky." Allison's words made her sigh in relief but still, how much until she would recover? How much time will she lose?

"I only remember jumping with the girls' help and then everything turned dark. When I opened my eyes I was here, with you." Amelia said trying to remember more but she couldn't.

"You don't remember something else?" Allison asked and Amelia gave her a negative nod. "It just..Derek told me—" she started but she was interrupted by Amelia.

"Derek? Did you speak with him? Does he know that I am here? Is he here?" She asked a storm of questions, feeling her heart burning with a feeling she didn't know. She had felt it before plenty of times but she hadn't paid much attention.

"Yes, of course, he knows. Derek was there when you fell —actually, Emma dropped you. He carried you in his arm and brought you to the ambulance when it came. He was —and still is— as worried as I was." Allison explained. That familiar feeling again. A small smile appeared on her lips, but she immediately hid it.

"Have you spoken to him since then?" She asked

"Yes. This morning. He told me that he will come by with your parents to see you around the evening. Are you okay with that?" Allison asked as she knew how things were between them.