ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

......

Three days had passed after the dream Amelia had seen but the things between Derek and her hadn't changed at all. At first, Amelia thought that that dream, no matter how weird it was, was a sign that Derek and she will be okay and that he really is under a lot of pressure, but no, nothing had changed. He kept ignoring her, more and more with each passing day. So now she guessed that it had to do with her and not with him.

She tried to talk to him but every time she asked him if everything was okay he used the same excuse "I have a lot of homework to do" or "I don't have time now, we will talk later" and every time he said this he had never come to discuss it with her afterward. It was like she was invisible to him. Not invisible like the little sister who sometimes is really annoying, invisible like he didn't want to see her, to talk to her, to hang out with her. Like she had done something wrong.

His behavior towards her was not the same, he was so cold and mean all the time. Well, being mean was a part of his personality but not to her. Towards her, he was always so kind and sweet —most of the time— and now he was exactly the opposite. Amelia didn't know what was wrong with him.

To make the difference more clear, here are some examples. Every night before he went to sleep he would come to her room and stay with her until she fell asleep. Amelia wasn't a child but Derek always wanted to make sure she would be okay. Also, he didn't need sleep as much as Amelia needed it, because of his powers. Derek always cared about her. He always asked about her day or checked on her even though she was completely healthy. All these days she had stayed at home because of the accident with Scott, he didn't even ask if her wounds were better. If she was better. It was like he didn't give a fuck about what happened when some days ago he was with her at the hospital from the morning since the next day.

And the weirdest thing was that Amelia caught him getting ready to go out. Not with his friends. It seemed like he was getting ready to go out on a date. All these years she lived with Derek —and after the incident when she was thirteen— Amelia had never seen him get dressed in such good clothes. He was wearing a dark blue pair of jeans and a black t-shirt which was highlighting every muscle in his body. You could clearly see how fit his body was. She had no idea he had a shirt like that. On his right hand, he wore a gold clock that Luna had bought him on his birthday when they first started living together, but Amelia had never seen him wearing it.

The perfume he had put on smelled so good. Amelia was really impressed seeing him dressed like that because no matter how many black-tie events they had gone to, she had never seen him wearing clothes like that and looking so excited. He seemed like a different person. She was happy for him, that he was about to have a good time —with a girl— after so long.

She entered his room when he was putting on some more perfume. He turned around and gave her a strange look, without a smile. It was like he wanted her to leave —again. Amelia ignored him thinking he was just stressed and walked into his room, sitting in his bed. She was watching him getting ready when he finally spoke.