Chapter 31 - Maybe

I'm woken up by the constant knocking on my door. Just managing walking to it groggily. Who is knocking on my door this early? I can't even open my eyes properly yet, still too exhausted and a little hungover.

I swing the door open expecting Alice but it's not her. It's Jennie unnie and the second it registered in my brain, all the things that happened last night came rushing in.

"Good morning." She greets with a smile.

"What-" I pause rubbing my still sleepy eyes. "What is it unnie?"

"Came to get you for breakfast." She looks me up and down. "But I see you're not ready. Go on." She says. Turning me back into the room with one hand and closing the door with the other.

Still a little dazed, I do what she says. I grab some clothes from my luggage and head to the bathroom. I look at my reflection in the mirror. My eyes a little puffy from crying last night. I still can't believe that last night was real.

They broke up.

I don't know how to feel about it. Even when I was jealous I've never wished them to break up. Last night she said she has feelings for me, my heart felt so full when I heard her say that but on the other hand I'm sad. For her.

She's sitting on the edge of my bed when I got out of the bathroom. Standing by the door, I watch her.  She's smiling at me but I see there's still sadness in her eyes. I sit down beside her.

"Are you okay?" I ask not looking at her so she won't be uncomfortable to what I'm about to say.

"Of course." She says cheerily.

I shake my head. "I know you loved him and that couldn't have been easy, breaking up with him." I say.

"How could you have known I loved him when we have never talked about it?"

"I notice everything about you unnie." I smile sadly at her. "Last year, I should have known then, that somebody was making you happy. You were different." I look down. Fidgeting a loose thread on my sweatpants. "We hung out a lot at that time, I thought it was me." Shaking my head I continue. "Wishful thinking huh?" I chuckle.

"Lisa.." She grabs my hand.

I stop her. "It's okay. You did nothing wrong." I wrap my arm around her shoulders and pull her to me. "Back to my question. Are you really okay unnie?"

"I know I did the right thing for the both of us but I still broke his heart by doing it. And I just feel like an awful person." She cries.

"Doing the right thing doesn't make you an awful person. It may be hard to understand right now but he will." I say trying to comfort her.

She just nods in response. I hold her tight in my arms. As her sobs died down I loosen my hold on her to wipe her tears away. "Come on, I'm hungry. Let's go eat."

"Okay." She smiles. A genuine one where her eyes disappears and gums showing.

The smile that makes me happy too.

***

As we walk through the dining hall we see Jisoo unnie and Rosie stop what they were doing and watch us walk up to the table.

Sitting down I notice both of them giving Jennie unnie a look, like they are communicating something to her silently. I glance at Jennie unnie, she was shaking her head at them. When she notices me looking she just smiles at me sweetly.

"What are you guys doing?" I ask smiling at them.

"Nothing!" Jisoo unnie and Rosie says at the same time. Looking back at their food acting like I just didn't see them.