Chapter 1

Evan's POV

School. High school, to be exact. The worst place on earth for any human being. I hated it. I don't mean the kind of hate like when people say they hate vegetables, I mean the kind of hate that makes your blood boil at the thought of it. The kind of hate that makes you want to destroy the damn thing.

Yup, that kind of hate.

I dreaded every step towards the building filled with hormonal, moody teenagers. Not that I wasn't one of them, because I was. I was probably moodier than most of my peers, but being around so many people that I don't like irritated me. They were all loud and annoying, or quiet and insecure, or a dreadful mix of both. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just don't like people in general. I guess everyone goes through that phase at one point or another, though.

A scowl found its way on my face as my eyes caught a glimpse of the school in front of me. I always looked angry, probably because I spent so much time here. That could be a part of the reason no one ever approached me, but then again, I was glad no one approached me. I didn't want to immerse myself in useless and awkward conversations. I didn't care to talk to people, nor did I want to unless it was necessary.

I much preferred to keep to myself the next two years and a few months that I had left there at that school. I'd kept to myself my entire Freshman year and this would be my second year, so I figured I could last until I was out of there. I guess most people would consider me to be a jerk, and they're probably right. But I wasn't going to see any of these people in a few years, so I didn't care.

I stepped into the overly-crowded school and my nostrils were immediately invaded by the overwhelming smell of perfume and cologne everyone wore. It was awful. I mean, I can understand just a spray or two, but the amount people wore there was excessive and probably just as bad as not bathing. Though, I guess that isn't important.

Making my way inside, I spotted a clique of teens standing around and blocking my locker. Great... I thought as I reached them. I shot each of them a glare.

"Move. That's my locker," I demanded in a monotone voice, refusing to drop my cold stare.

They shuffled away from my locker, mumbling some things that I couldn't hear. Not that I really cared, as long as they were out of my way. I put in my locker combination and placed my bag inside, then grabbed a set of books for my first few classes. I shut the locker and sulked away.

First and second period were extremely boring, as usual. So instead of listening, I just zoned out aboard my train of thought without anyone bothering me. Third period, though, I was not as lucky.

"Mr. Beck!" The teacher roared, after clearly trying to get my attention for probably four-hundredth time. I turned my head toward her, leaving my chin resting in my palm.

"Yes, Mrs. Willow?" I asked in a not-so-apologetic tone. It's not like I cared if she got mad at me for ignoring her.

"Do you think you're so above everyone else that you don't have to pay attention like they do?" She asked me, looking very irritated.

I just stared blankly at her then blinked after a moment. Why does everyone assume that I think that? I thought. I was probably worse than everyone else and I know that.

"No, I'm just bored, I've heard this lecture before," I answered truthfully which just seemed to irritate her further.

See what I mean? This is why I hated people. Tell the truth and they get more agitated. There was no winning with some people.

"If this class is so boring, then why don't you switch classes?" she asked, her tone somewhat mocking.

I sighed and shook my head, moving my hand away from my head. "You and I both know that I can't do that. The school doesn't offer any higher math classes than this one, and I have to finish this class to get the college credit." I looked up at her as I finished. We've had this talk several times before, so I didn't know why she kept bringing it up when she knew the answer. Maybe just to irritate me.

Which she was unfortunately good at.

Not that I would let it show too much, then she could send me to detention, and as much I may have looked like the person who didn't care about getting detention, I did care. I did. It would look bad on a college application. I didn't care about people all that much, but I did care about my education.

"Mr. Beck. I would like to speak to you after class," she said with a sweet venom in her voice. I nodded and went back to looking out the window like nothing had happened.

After third period, I had to stay and listen to a long, annoying, and may I say, a rather useless lecture from Mrs. Willow. I just agreed, trying to conceal my eye twitch during her entire rant about how I needed to pay more attention or she would call my dad. I didn't like her. Why did I need to hear the same things over and over? I already knew everything she was teaching. So if I listened, then I'd just fall asleep. And in my opinion, that's much ruder than just looking out the window.

I was so annoyed and lost in thought that I didn't notice where I was going until I ran into a large figure that seemed to appear out of thin air in front of me. It was a good thing that I wasn't too small, or I would have eaten the ground after that. I mumbled an apology and turned away, but they grabbed my wrist.

"Wait. Shouldn't you at least look someone in the eye when you apologize?" The person spoke with a deep, husky voice, despite it being kind.

I rolled my eyes and shifted my gaze to his face, opening my mouth to mumble a sarcastic apology, but froze.

Almost. I almost froze. I looked in his eyes. His bright, soul-piercing green eyes. Then my eyes began wandering his face of flawless pale skin, then up to his silky, well-styled red hair. Oh, I knew who this was. I may hate everyone at this school, and I may not pay attention to who people are, but you'd have to be living under a rock to not know who this guy was. I mean, Waeland Daten, the school's number one football player, the most popular guy in school.

Otherwise known as, Mr. Popular.

He snapped his fingers in my face to get my attention. That's when I realized I was staring.

Oh jeez, I probably looked dumb. I coughed, "Um, sorry, I wasn't paying attention." I apologized in as much of a monotone as I could manage, trying to hide the slight embarrassment of looking like an idiot. Wait, why did I care if I looked stupid to this guy?

He flashed me an award-winning smile, showing off his perfectly straight, white teeth. "It's all good, Evan." What? I never told him my name. My eyebrows furrowed, which probably showed my confusion. He then chuckled in his deep, smooth voice, "I know everyone's name here if that's what you're confused about." I frowned. Well, that wasn't creepy at all.

"Okay... Goodbye." I turned and walked away, not wanting to be late to my fourth period. Tardies are just as bad as detention.

"Hey! Don't you want to know my name?!" The redhead called out to me.

Turning my head toward him, I answered, "I already know it. Everyone does, Moron." I continued to make my journey to my next class.

"The name's Waeland, not 'Moron'," Waeland corrected as he easily caught up with me, having not been left too far behind in the first place. Was he trying to be smart? I didn't respond to him aloud, hoping my scowl would give him the hint to go away.

Instead, he just kept following me. "Did you know we have World History together?" Of course, I did, how could I not notice that Mr. Popular was in most of my classes? I walked into history and sat in the back corner, as usual, when I felt a strange presence in the seat beside me. Please tell me he did not just follow me then sit beside me.

I snapped my head towards the desk to see Waeland sitting in it, confirming my suspicion. Can't this guy take a hint? I don't want to be bothered by anyone.

"Oh, I can take a hint, Evan," he chuckled. It was as if he read my mind, but then I realized I must have said it out loud.

I rolled my eyes. "Then why are you still here?" I asked, looking back at the board - something I rarely ever did. But it's better than looking at that idiot.

"Because I like meeting new people. Especially people like you who seem so closed off from everyone else. It's fun to get to see a new side of someone," he said, which made me scoff. He wasn't going to see any new sides of me. Which I informed him of, proceeding to ignore him the rest of the class.