Chapter 28

Evan's POV

After Waeland left yesterday, I tried talking to my dad. But, he and Jake had already left for the night, leaving a note that they'd be back by morning. I didn't really question it, so I just decided to go to bed early, having nothing else to do.

When I woke up this morning, I saw that I had a message from Waeland. He told me to meet him at the school gate a couple minutes before school.

So, here I am. Standing outside of the school and I have been for almost ten minutes now. Honestly, I would stay longer, but I don't want to be late to class. And I definitely don't want to start a streak with the detention room.

As I reached my locker, Samantha was there, leaning her back against it with her arms crossed. I swear I've never seen her look so serious before.

Her eyes met mine and she peeled herself away from my locker and offered an envelope to me without saying a word.

"Um, what's this?" I question, raising an eyebrow at her.

"Something that only Waeland, Garret, and I have seen and now you," She said and I became more confused.

"Okay?" I said while I tore the envelope open and pulled out a photo. I looked more closely at the photo and realized that it was a picture of Waeland and I at the party he took me to, of me kissing him on the couch.

Shit. I really did kiss him at that party.

"Uh... Thanks for the photo.." I mumbled before realizing that there was a second one. This one was a picture of Waeland and I on our most recent date of us making out.

But nobody was around, how did someone take this?

Not that I really care, but I know Waeland would.

"Where did you get these?" I asked Samantha and she sighed.

"I can't tell you, that's secret information I can't give you unless..." Samantha trailed off.

"Unless?" I started for her again, but she just shook her head.

"Just watch your back today, Evan. And know that I'm here if you need me, okay? I have to get to class, though. So should you," She said before walking off with her heels clicking behind her, the halls now empty.

What was that all about?

I wondered, but I really did need to get to class, so I decided to just focus on that for now.

~

I wasn't paying much attention much of my first few classes. All I could really think about was the fact that Waeland hadn't shown up this morning, or said anything to me. And what Samantha told me. I really don't understand anything that happens in this school.

Walking into fourth period, I noticed that Waeland wasn't sitting where he has been. He was sitting in the spot that he used to with his group of friends.

I stopped and stared at him for a moment, thinking about whether or not that I should approach him. But right as I was about to walk over, someone said something.

"What are you staring at, fag," One of the boys in Waeland's group that I didn't recognize said with a snicker and I was taken aback for a moment. One, by the fact that someone I didn't know just spoke to me. And two, they just called me a fag.

"Your ugly ass face," I said with a glare as I sat down in my seat.

Definitely not going over there now. I don't want to deal with that.

"What did you just-" The guy started, but the teacher walked in and told him to shut up and sit down.

I stayed in my seat the rest of class, shooting small glances at Waeland. Every now and then he would look back at me, his eyes looked sad and full of pity. I wonder why he hasn't done anything wrong.

Once everyone was out of class, I decided to approach Waeland.

"Hey, is something wrong? You didn't show up this morning, then you didn't sit beside me like you usually do. Then all of class you kept giving me sad looks." I say and he lets out a small sigh as he rubbed the back of his neck with his hand.

"I didn't show up this morning because I got busy," He said lamely.

"What about the rest?"

"I didn't sit beside you because I got you in trouble yesterday, so I thought I'd stay away you know. But I still felt bad, so... Yeah," Waeland said. That makes sense.

"Oh, well I'm over that now," I said to him and he nodded a bit.

"Alright well, I gotta go to lunch," He said as he stood up from his chair and started to leave.

"Um, don't we have lunch together?" I ask, almost regretting it. I never eat lunch with anyone. At least until recently anyway, so it feels weird saying that. Or maybe he doesn't want to eat lunch with me today.

"Right, yeah, we do. But, uh... I'm just afraid people will get a little suspicious if you eat lunch with me every day, you know? Remember, I just want to keep us low-key," He reminded me and I nodded a bit. That makes sense, too. Maybe I have been a little clingy.

Ew, clingy. That sounds so weird describing myself as that.

"Right. Sorry about that," I mumbled as I quickly left the classroom.

"Evan, wait," I heard Waeland call for me from a distance, but I didn't wait. He told me to be low-key, so I am.

I walked into the lunch room and sat at a table by myself after grabbing my lunch. When Waeland walked in, as expected, he didn't sit with me or try to get me to sit with him.

I hate that Waeland is so flip-flop. One day we'll have a good day, and the next he acts like he's afraid to be beside me. He was never like this when we were friends. Maybe dating him was a bad idea just like I thought it was. As much as I don't want to believe that. I really have been having fun being around Waeland so much. Plus, I think I may even start to be falling in love with him.

Maybe. I don't really know. It was just a thought... That I've been having a lot. Especially when I'm beside him, or away from him, or all the time really. I can't stop thinking about how Waeland makes me feel this little flutter in my chest whenever I think about seeing him. Or how I want him near me all the time so I can touch him whenever I want to. And how he makes me feel better than I have since my mom left. Sometimes he makes me happier than I think I ever have been my whole life.

I think I may be falling in a little too deep.

"Hey, wassup?" Samantha asked, bringing me out of my thoughts and I looked at her with a raised brow.

"What are you doing over here? Shouldn't you be sitting over there with your friends," I said, nodding towards the table of popular people and Waeland.

"What are you talking about? You are my friend," She said with a grin. "So, anyway, how is your day going so far? Has anyone bullied you?"

"You say that like you want me to get bullied or something," I rolled my eyes at her and she gasped in shock.

"Evy, I may be a bitch to other people, but not my friends," Samantha said, shaking her head. "I was just wondering because if someone did, I want to know who so I can snap their heads off their bodies. You did nothing wrong, so it's not fair..." She mumbled, again confusing me just like this morning.

I sighed, "Samantha, will you please stop just trailing off like that? Either say finish what you're saying or don't say anything at all. I don't want to deal with more stuff today, I'm already irritated as it is."

"So someone did bully you!" She yelled loud enough to make a few people turn their heads and look at us. Samantha began scanning the room with a glare. "Who was it? Cause-"

"Samantha," I said more clearly. "Nobody did anything. I'm just a little irritated at Waeland for blowing me off all day is all. Even if I know why."

"You... You know why..?" Samantha asked, her eyes wide with shock.

"Yeah, something about his dad knowing about us, right? He said he just didn't want to tell everyone that we're together and he doesn't want to make it look "suspicious" or whatever." I said with a shrug.

"Oh," She said with a small sigh of what looked like relief? "Right, sorry."

"We should probably stop talking and eat. I don't want to miss lunch again," I said as I started eating and Samantha nodded in agreement and started eating as well.