Chapter 17

Evan's POV

I looked out the window at Waeland, who had been sitting outside on the porch for about an hour now.

As soon as we got to the lake house after Samantha and the rest of the gang found us, Waeland immediately grabbed his phone and went to his room. I assume that he was talking to his dad since Samantha told him that his dad visited while we were out.

He didn't come out of his room till John and Garret convinced him to come out and eat the dinner that the girls had made with the rest of us. Waeland came out and ate, and for the most part, he seemed like himself. Joking and teasing and being abnormally annoying.

But as soon as he was finished, he went outside and hasn't spoken to anyone since. Not even Samantha, and to me, that's a very rare occurrence.

Samantha told me that he gets like this whenever his dad gets mad or disappointed with Waeland. She also said that she's met his father and that his name is Stephan, and he's not a very kind person. He only keeps up a nice face to anyone that's of any importance.

Honestly, that kind of reminds me of Waeland. Although, Waeland doesn't do it just in front of important people. And it's not totally fake, at least, from what I can tell anyway. Also, Waeland isn't an ass when he's not being fake. So there is a big difference between him and his dad.

I wonder if that's why Waeland likes my dad so much. Because he and his dad don't get along very well. I mean, I'm not exactly buddy-buddy with my dad, but we're not on bad terms either. If I ever really needed to talk to my dad, he'd be there for me. And I'll always try to be there for my dad when he needs me.

Maybe I should try and be there for someone else too... Someone like Waeland. I don't really know how I can help him, but at least I can go talk to him.

Right?

I walked outside and sat beside him silently. He didn't seem to notice my presence and jump me like he usually does, so I decided to start first.

"Hey, Waeland. Is something wrong?" I asked as I turned my head to look at him.

It took him a moment to register that I even said something, "Hm? Oh, hey..."

He didn't even answer my question. Rude.

Yup, something is definitely wrong. Waeland is way off from his usual self. And not like those split-second moments either.

"You don't sound very excited to see me," I mused as I nudged his shoulder gently.

Now that's totally unlike me. But maybe it'll cheer him up just a bit. Waeland chuckled. Wow, did a nudge work that easily?

"Sorry, I'm just not in the mood to talk to anyone." He told me as he looked over at me. Okay, maybe that didn't work really.

"Not even me?" I asked and he shrugged.

"I guess I could talk to you. I've never really seen you too eager to talk to me. So I could take this opportunity." Waeland said with a small smirk on his lips. "Why exactly do you want to talk to me again?"

"Well, if I remember correctly, there was an idiot that kept bothering me even though I wanted to be left alone. So I'm here to return the favor." I told the red-head with a small smirk. I hate seeing Waeland like this. It doesn't seem the same. I like the upbeat and annoying Waeland. Not saying that he can't ever act differently, I just want to see him be himself again. And I also want to know why his father upsets him so much.

And get revenge for him annoying me every time I wanted to be left alone.

"Alright, fair enough." He said as he chuckled quietly. "Well... I'm guessing Samantha already told you why I'm not exactly in my normal mood right now. Since she's kind of a blabbermouth on some things."

"Yeah, she pretty much told me that your dad is an ass and that's why you're in a bad mood and don't want to talk to anyone," I told him and he nodded a bit.

"I guess, yeah. It's more complicated than that, though. You see, my dad found out that I used the amusement park for our date." He said and I looked at him in confusion. I thought that he had permission to use it for that reason.

"But I thought you said that your dad lets you reserve the park for that reason that day?" I asked and he shook his head side to side.

"Kind of. It was reserved for me to use that day, but I was supposed to take my friends, not a date. My dad doesn't exactly like the fact that I'm gay. He doesn't hate me for it, but he always tells me how disappointed he is that I didn't turn out more like my brother. So, I at least try to keep up a kind face to everyone for my dad. I don't want to disappoint him any more than I have." Waeland started and he looked down into his lap, looking a bit ashamed. That's something I've never seen on him. He always looks so confident.

"Anyways, my brother told my dad that I took a date instead of my friends. And that my date was you. My father's fiánce's son. As you can imagine, he wasn't too happy about it. I told him you don't even want to date me anyways... And that he shouldn't worry about it, he said alright, but I can tell he's still mad at me. In fact, he probably only said that because Erica told him to calm down." Waeland said with a sigh.

Erica? My mom? Being nice and telling someone to calm down?

Wow, guess she has changed.

I didn't really know what to say, but when Waeland said that I said that I wouldn't date him, he looked genuinely upset. But maybe it's for the best? I mean, his dad did say that he'd be upset if we were dating. In fact, he's still upset and we only went on one date.

"And if I did want to date you? What would your dad say then?" I asked and his head shot up as he looked at me.

"Don't know... But you told me you don't want to. So why does it matter?"

"Because... Maybe... I changed my mind. Maybe I do want to date you. I mean, I liked our date, I like spending time with you, I like it when you kiss me. And I like you. But maybe it's not a good idea... Your dad is already upset, so why anger the beast?" I said and Waeland laughed at my last line.

"Are you serious?" He asked and I shrugged.

"When am I not serious?"

"Alright, I'll agree with that," Waeland said with a grin. "But, about the other thing, you said. Is that you saying that yes to me asking you out?"

"Depends... I don't want you to get in trouble." I said and his smirk just grew as he grabbed my chin gently and leaned in closer to me.

"I don't mind to be in trouble... Trouble is my middle name." Waeland whispered against my lips softly and I rolled my eyes at him.

He just chuckled as he planted a soft kiss on my lips.