Chapter 34

Evan's POV

Hand in hand Waeland and I walked far away from the school behind us, ignoring the fact that we will most likely get in trouble later. For right now though, I just didn't care, even though I know I should. But this is what was important to me right now. I can make a few mistakes in high school and still be okay, right?

I mean, I've come this far and I'm alive.

Waeland and I still hadn't said a word as we reached a small park that had only a children's playground, a few benches spread around, and several spread out trees surrounding the area. It was quiet, no one was here since it was a school day. That's good I suppose. Not that it makes a difference to me, but I am glad to be alone with him for the first time in a while.

At the same time though, that scared me. What if my anger got the best of me and I slapped him again?

Not that I wouldn't do it in front of others, because he definitely deserved it.

"Listen, I-" I started the same time as Waeland, both of us interrupted each other.

Me being me, I decided to stay quiet again, eager to hear what Waeland had to say for the first time. Usually, I found his talking annoying, but now I wanted him to talk. I wanted to hear his voice. I wanted him to tell me the truth.

"Evan, I'm sorry, " He started, his eyes trailing to the ground as he stared at his feet. "I messed up, a lot, as you can tell. I've been a fool and an idiot. All because I cared about some social standing that won't even matter in the future. And because I cared about losing the respect of people that I never liked in the first place. I considered what other people would think about me, people that I never even thought of as friends. Over people that actually cared about me."

Waeland spoke, his voice becoming softer as he spoke, I began to feel bad. Yes, he is an idiot, but that's what made me feel bad.

"I could blame it on Garret for blackmailing me, but it wasn't all Garret. It was my fault, too. I didn't trust you like I should have and told you what was going on even though you deserved it. And you tried to keep it together, you tried to confront me about it, but I pushed you away because I was scared, " Waeland admitted, his voice filled with guilt as he spoke.

It wasn't like me to forgive someone so easily, and in all honesty, I haven't really forgiven Waeland. But I was proud of him. He's beginning to take responsibility and admit to how he feels. I wonder what happened that made him so mature all of a sudden.

But that doesn't make what he did right.

"Waeland, I-" I began, but was cut off shortly.

"Wait, please let me finish." Waeland pleaded as he positioned himself, ready to talk more. I wanted to speak, but I decided I should keep listening for now. I leaned back against the back of the bench, ready to hear what else he has to say.

"My father broke up with Erica because they got into a fight. He asked her about the reason she divorced Paul. My dad never thought about asking out of respect, but whenever I mentioned what you told me to him, I guess he thought he should ask. And-"

This time, I decided to but in, I couldn't not say anything. I'm the one who told him about my mom and dad. "She didn't divorce my dad because she was a gold digger, it was because-"

"Yes, I know, " Waeland said with a sigh. "She told my dad the truth. Me too. They didn't fight because she was after his money, they fought because she said that when they got married, she didn't want to be around me at all. At first, I thought my dad was going to agree with her, I thought he hated me. Turns out, he doesn't." Waeland said with a small smile on his lips.

"I was honestly a little heartbroken when Erica said that, she seemed like a mother to me. Turns out it was all a lie, she's just a homophobic bitch. She thought since my dad was so strict he never actually allow me to be who I am. So she decided to play the good cop just so I wouldn't hate her. You know those people that act differently around everyone just so everyone likes them? Yeah, that's your mom." He said, no trace of his previous smile on his lips. I felt awful, I know my mother did that to me and my father, but I didn't know she did that to other people.

"Yeah, I know.," I mumbled, ashamed of my mom.

How could a mother be so cruel to her son? And the person who was also supposed to be her son. I really wish I didn't try to give my mom another chance now.

My father... I'm not so sure. He has been there for me a lot more than my mother has. Except all those times that he was so drunk he didn't know what was up or down. At least he wasn't an asshole drunk.

"Anyway," Waeland continued with a small sigh. "My father decided to let her go. But he was heartbroken, too. She was the second person that he had loved, the first being my birth mother. He lost the two people that he loved. I felt bad, I still do honestly. My father realized he didn't want the same thing happening to me. So he told me to go after you. Honestly, I wasn't sure if I should. I was a coward and I was terrible towards you. But he told me I should at least try, if not I would regret it. I don't expect you to forgive me for everything that I've done to you, but I would like another chance. Please, " Waeland finished, his eyes fixated on me and my eyes were on his.

I knew I didn't forgive him for what he's done, but I thought, in time that I could. No one's perfect, I'm not exactly the nicest person myself. And he is trying.

"You're right, I don't forgive you for everything that you've done, " I said and Waeland's eyes saddened as he glanced towards the ground. "But I think eventually I can. So, yes, I will give you another chance, Waeland. Only under once condition, " I said, catching his attention again.

"Yeah? What is it?" Waeland asked, sounding a little too eager. He really is cute sometimes. I missed the cute side of him. But I like his hot side, too.

"Will you go out with me again, Mr. Popular?" I asked as Waeland chuckled at his nickname, then he grinned.

"I don't know if I'll be " Mr. Popular" after all this, " He said as his smile turned in a smirk. "But yes, I will go out with you again," Waeland said and I watched as he reached forward and cupped my cheek in his hand, his touch being light and gentle.

"Can I kiss you?" He asked as his breath brushed against his lips, sending a chill down my spine. Waeland's touch has been the only one I can stand. And it's definitely the first touch that I truly enjoy.

"Yes," I mumbled back as I leaned forward and closed the small gap between our lips.