Chapter 5

Evan's POV

The walk to the nurse's office felt like forever. I couldn't stop running all these scenarios through my head. What if I got suspended? Or worse, expelled? Then I'd never get into a good college, and I wouldn't get a good job and I'd have to find another way to take care of my dad. Why did I let my anger get to me like that? It was so stupid of me!

I'm so screwed... was my last thought before we entered the nurse's office. The nurse was an older lady, probably in her forties or fifties. She was in the middle of bandaging Garret's nose when she noticed Mr. Popular's presence, followed by mine.

"Are you the one who broke his nose?" she asked, eyeing me suspiciously. I just nodded slowly. "Young man, do you know how much trouble you're going to be in? You can't be getting into fights like this. Boys and their raging emotions..." She said, mumbling the last part, but all of us definitely caught it and Jenna stifled back a laugh.

"Ma'am, can we talk about this later?" Waeland asked politely. "Not only is Garret's nose broken, but Evan hurt his hand as well. So I think it's best to help them first, then talk about what happened," he finished. I watched the nurse mull it over for a moment before agreeing and going back to Garret's dumb nose. Once she finished up with him, she ushered me over to wrap up my fingers. She said they weren't broken, just bruised, maybe a little jammed, and it would only take a week or so to heal.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Waeland whispering something to Garret and Garret looked like he was about to pee his pants. Seriously, I genuinely thought he would, right then and there. I was curious as to what Waeland had said, but I wasn't going to question it. Not there, anyway.

When the nurse was finally done, she asked us what happened and said she would decide whether to send us to the principal's office or not afterward. I was about to start when Garret stepped in.

"It was my fault, I started it," he told the nurse quickly, looking down at his feet. Wait, what? I thought he would say it was all my fault.

"Go on," the nurse said, looking slightly shocked.

Garret continued, "I was jealous of Evan, so I called him names and pushed him against the wall. I got up in his face and was about to punch him when he punched me first. He did it in self-defense and I take full responsibility for my actions." I was so shocked. I wondered if Waeland had something to do with it.

"Mr. Beck, is this true?" She turned and asked me. I thought for a moment, debating if I should agree. If I did, that'd make Garret look really bad... Well, he wasn't lying, but I did punch him first.

"Yeah, it's true," I said, deciding to go with it and see what would happen. I would rather not get in trouble.

The nurse nodded, "Alright, I guess since it was your own fault for starting it, Garret, I won't report you to the principal. But if anything like this ever happens again, you will be in deep trouble, young man." Garret nodded and Waeland looked proud of himself for some reason. "And you Mr. Beck, if you're being bullied, you need to tell someone. Not lash out at the bully." I nodded and in my head, rolled my eyes. Yeah, like I'd ever let anyone bully me.

"Alright, you're all dismissed." The nurse shooed us away, We all left in awkward silence.

Garret, Jenna, and Jonah didn't say a word as they walked away in the opposite direction of me. Waeland stuck behind and followed me to our fifth period.

To my surprise, he was quiet for the entire class. It seemed so off from his usual character and I kept giving him questioning glances the whole time. He just shrugged and focused on his work. Strange... Maybe he was planning something.

In our sixth period, Waeland was being Waeland again. He kept on poking me and whispering things to me like he has been since the day before. I didn't ignore him completely like I had been, but I didn't exactly converse with him, either. I just nodded and said simple responses like "yes", "no", and "sure".

He seemed ecstatic compared to earlier, but I didn't question it. I was afraid he would tell me this long story about why he was so happy and I didn't want to hear it. He kind of scared me.

Finally, school was over for the day and I had all weekend to myself. Thank God, I got to spend the next two days in my own quiet space, where I wouldn't be bothered by anyone, especially not Waeland. I didn't want to be around him nor his friends.

I was practically skipping to the main doors, eager to get home. The second I walked through the doors though, someone grabbed my arm. I turned my head to see none other than Mr. Popular.

"May I help you?" I asked in a sarcastic tone, ready to leave.

"Actually, yes, I was wondering if you wanted to go to a party with me tomorrow." I almost laughed. Almost. Was this guy for real? I would never go to a party and with him no less.

I scoffed, "Um, no thanks, parties aren't my thing."

"Nothing is your thing," he retorted. "C'mon, just go, it'll be fun."

"No," I said flatly, hoping to leave quickly.

"You're going you need to have some fun in your life. I'll pick you up at seven," Waeland winked at me. "Wear something nice, too. I want to see you look extra cute for the party."

And with that little note, he ran off. Why does he always leave before I can respond? Also, "cute"? No, no, no. I am not cute and I am also not going to that party. And how could he even pick me up if he didn't know my address?

Actually, knowing him, he probably stalked me to my house at one point or another without me knowing. I sighed and started walking home. Well, there went my good mood...

Again.

Once I got home, I started making dinner. I was really hungry since I hadn't gotten much to eat at lunch no thanks to You-Know-Who. I also wanted to go to bed early. The day had been tiring and I just wanted to relax under my comforter on my cozy bed.

I decided to make lasagna and breadsticks for dinner, my dad's favorite meal, so I was sure he'd appreciate it after a long day of work. When everything was finished up, I grabbed a large helping and packed up the rest for Dad, knowing he'd be late today. He's always late on Fridays.

After finishing my food, I washed the dishes and went to the bathroom to shower. I shut the door behind me and began undressing. When I took my shirt off, a white piece of paper fell to the ground. I stared at it for a long moment before picking it up. It was folded into fours, so I unfolded it. Inside was a note. It read:

Sup Cutie,

I thought you'd want my number so you could send me your address, and I can pick you up for the party. XXX-XXX-XXXX. I hope you text me as soon as you read this.

-Waeland XOXO

What the..? Waeland... I sighed and placed the note on the counter, rolling my eyes. I was definitely, absolutely not sending him my address. I wasn't going to that dumb party.