Chapter 3

Waeland's POV

I leaned against my locker, listening to the group of people that called themselves my friends. I was pretty sure they all just hung around me for my popularity and/or money. Except for Samantha.

"Are you listening, Waeland?" some girl named Jenna asked me.

I smiled apologetically at her. "Sorry, I was just thinking about finals since they're coming up in a couple of weeks," I lied. The truth was, I had zoned out. I didn't care to listen to their gossip about who did something embarrassing or who wore the same dress as someone else.

"Seriously? Since when do you care about grades, man?" one of the more popular males in "my group", Jonah, asked. I just shrugged, about to respond, but that's when I saw him.

Evan. Evan Beck. He walked past us with his signature scowl on his face. Most people thought he looked mean, and he kind of did, but I found it more amusing than anything. Of course, there was that group of people that said they hated everyone and shut out the world, but something about Evan was different. Although, I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

"I have to go, guys, I'll catch you later," I patted Jonah's shoulder and ignored them calling for me as I jogged down the hall after Evan. "Hey, friend!" I called out to him, but he didn't answer me. Maybe he didn't hear me.

I caught up with him quickly and grabbed his shoulder so I could have him face me. "Hey, did you not hear me?" I asked him, slightly disappointed that he didn't acknowledge me earlier, but I didn't take it to heart.

"No, I heard you, but seeing as I am not your friend, I didn't respond," he told me nonchalantly. Ouch, no wonder this guy had no friends, but that wasn't going to stop me. In fact, it just gave me even more motivation to be his friend.

I pouted. "But you are my friend. I asked you yesterday and you grunted in response. Which I took as a yes. So we are friends," I instructed him, but he rolled his eyes in response, clearly unamused by my conclusion.

"I probably grunted because I didn't care or I wasn't paying attention. And I still don't care." Oh, this guy... I let my pout become a wide grin. His beautiful chocolate brown eyes gave me a strange look as if I was the craziest person to exist on the planet. His confused little face was adorable compared to his usual cold glares. I loved it.

"If that meant you don't care, then you don't care if we're friends or not. Therefore, we can be friends because you don't care either way," I smiled wide and patted him on the shoulder. "That's great! I'll see you later, friend," I added quickly before he could argue with me anymore. I took that as my chance to escape to my first class. I could tell he was about to argue with me, but I wouldn't let him. Although, I'm sure he will in our fourth period. That or he'll just ignore me again like he did yesterday.

I had to find this guy's weakness, or find a way to break through his wall, or even just peek over the wall to see what was on the other side. That had been the first time I've seen another emotion from him besides irritation. I wanted to see every side of him, learn why he acted so mad all the time and what would make him smile. I was tired of the same people and needed to find something else to keep me interested in this boring school.

All the "friends" I had just hung out with me because of our reputations, and not because of an actual friendship. I thought if I can get Evan to open up to me, I might be able to have a real relationship with somebody, somebody that could potentially be more with me.

Sure, I had Samantha, someone I had been friends with since we were kids, but sometimes it's nice to change things up a little bit.

____________