Chapter 9

Evan's POV

I found the shovel in the backyard beside the small shed that my dad had for the few tools he had and the lawn mower. I glanced around the yard, looking for a good spot for my resting place. Until my dad noticed me from the back door and came outside.

"Whatcha doin', kiddo?" He asked, glancing between the shovel and me with a questioning look on his face.

"Burying myself in the backyard," I replied dryly.

"Um... Why would you do that?"

"I kissed Waeland. And the moment I did that, I signed my death warrant. So, here I am." I said and gestured to the shovel. Oh. I just realized I told my dad I kissed another boy. Well, as far as I know, my dad's not a homophobe so I don't think he'll flip or anything. I hope.

That's when I heard a small snicker and someone trying to hold back laughter. I looked in their direction to see my dad, holding a hand over his mouth and his eyes look like they were about to pop from containing his laughter. After a moment he just let it go and laughed like there was no tomorrow.

I tilted my head in confusion. Why does everyone find what I'm doing funny? I frowned at my dad, I don't understand people.

"S-sorry, K-kiddo... Was the kiss that bad?" He asked through his fits of laughter, trying to gain control of himself again.

"No, it was good. Really good. That's the problem." I saw my dad's smile falter, then turn into a smirk of amusement.

"What's the problem with that?" He asked.

"Well, for one, I don't want to get attached to anyone. Two, if any girl at school found out I kissed Mr. Popular, I'd be killed on the spot. So I'm doing them a favor," I shrugged and my dad just laughed again. Someone else's laughter joined in not long after and I sapped my head towards Waeland who was now laughing beside my dad. I'm glad he at least took my advice and put on some pants.

"Oh, good morning Waeland!" My dad said to him and they both calmed down, smiling at each other still.

Waeland smirked a bit, "Good morning, Paul."

What?

Since when are my dad and Waeland on a first name basis? What happened while I was sleeping last night?!

"Should I make breakfast for you two?" My dad asked and I stood there, confused.

Has the world turned upside down? My dad has never, ever offered to cook before. Well, not since my mom left anyways.

"Sure! That'd be great. In the meantime, I'll help Evan bury himself." Waeland said with hint humor in his voice. No. I don't want my death to be invaded by a devil. I plan on going to heaven.

My dad chuckled, "Alright, you kids have fun." I watched my dad's back as he went inside, leaving me alone with Waeland.

Great. Thank you so much, Dad. I just told him why I wanted to bury myself, and he left me with the very thing I wanted to get away from.

"So, where exactly do you want your grave?" The red-head said, looking very amused. I rolled my eyes.

"Somewhere you won't find it," I said and glared at him, irritated that he finds this so funny.

"Aww, you're so mean Evan. Usually, when I kiss people they want to date me. Not hate me." Waeland whined.

Yeah, telling me about your past dates is so going to make me want to date you. Nope, you're wrong. That just makes me want him less. I don't want to be one of his things that he just uses until he gets bored.