Chapter 36

Evan's POV

"I love you."

As soon as I heard those words, my heart sped up in my chest, but my body froze. What should I do? Should I say I love him back? I think I do... No, I know I do, I just. I'm not ready. Or am I?

My mind was so confused and I didn't know what to do, I panicked and decided to pretend like I was asleep. I didn't want to let him know I was awake and that I was avoiding him that would hurt him. It's not that I don't feel the same way, I just don't know how to express something like that just yet. I need time.

The longer he didn't move or respond, the guiltier I felt.

Until I felt the bed shift beside me and after a moment, I heard a sigh of relief and frustration escape from Waeland. My body relaxed a bit, glad that he fell for my act of being asleep. Now I really wish I was asleep. But at the same time, if he would have said that while I was really sleeping, I wouldn't have known he said that. And for some reason, I feel happier knowing that's how he feels. But I still panicked anyway.

I've never felt this way toward someone or had someone feel this way towards me, so this all new. I need some time to get used to it. Not long, I have been adjusting for a little while now. But saying I love you to someone is a big step for me. I need a little more time to think about it before I just say those three words to another.

Even through my panicked state, I started to calm down and let sleep start to take over my mind as I relaxed into the warmth beside me.

Honestly, I wish I could have this same warmth beside me every night. I feel more relaxed. I feel like I can fall asleep in an instant and sleep well throughout the entire night.

Not that I have much trouble sleeping at night, but this is just way more comfortable than being alone.

~~

I woke to a bright light shining through a pair of thick, black curtains that I didn't recognize as my own. I hate something so bright so early in the morning, it hurts my eyes. Annoyed, I turned away from the window and was face to face with something very warm and covered in skin. This is definitely not a pillow, I thought as I pulled my head back to see the full figure that was laying beside me, immediately recognizing it as Waeland's. For a moment, my sleepy mind was confused. Why is Waeland here? As a matter of fact, why am I here and where am I?

It took a moment before the memories of yesterday flooded through my mind, making remember why Waeland is here and where I am. I'm in his room because I didn't want to go home and I didn't exactly trust anyone else and I had nowhere else to hide.

I smiled, I liked being in his room. Everything smelled like him and it made me feel more relaxed. Even if I was still a little upset with him over everything that had happened.

And then the memories of what happened before I fell asleep came rushing in, and I blushed.

"I love you"

The words rang in my head over and over again, making me turn my head away from Waeland, unable to stop my blush from growing from my cheeks to my ears.

How could he say those words so casually? Wasn't he nervous? What if I didn't respond the way he had hoped?

Oh. Right. I didn't respond because I panicked.

Mentally facepalming, I let out a small groan of frustration and grabbed the pillow from underneath my head and covered my face with it. Why did I do something so stupid? Waeland deserved an answer and I avoided him. I felt awful. I should talk to him about it later. Maybe I'll feel more confident and tell him how I feel.