4 - Joséphine

It's already been a week since I began my new university adventure, and each day seems to melt into the next. I still remember the first day, when I was overwhelmed with work. University is really demanding, but I'm slowly adapting to it. Gradually, a certain routine began to emerge, and I began to find my feet. Since the beginning, Cassie has become a friend with whom I share many moments. Tonight, she invited me to her home for the first time. She was so excited to invite me that I couldn't refuse.

As I crossed the threshold of her apartment, I was immediately greeted by an impeccably decorated space. The walls are adorned with magnificent photos of Cassie and Clyde, capturing precious moments in their lives. Snapshots of her and Blake are also on display. I quickly notice the similarity in layout between our apartments, the kitchen opening to the left as soon as you enter, while the living room stretches majestically across the hall. Cassie's skill at creating a warm, elegant atmosphere is evident in every detail, from the choice of furniture to the carefully selected decorative accents. A light scent of roses fills the air, lending a delicate touch to the whole of her apartment. I realize that Cassie has been watching me discreetly for some time.

"Sorry, it's really beautiful." I take off my shoes and carefully place them in the hallway.

"Thanks," Cassie says with a smile. "I moved here not long before you did. I decided to live closer to Clyde. It's so convenient to be in the same building. We only see each other once in a while now, which is great!"

Hearing these words, my eyebrows raise slightly, reflecting both my surprise and my interest."Does Clyde live here?" I asked, realizing that I'd never seen him in the building before.

"Yes, he lives here with his brother," Cassie informs me, still smiling.

A slight feeling of surprise and apprehension runs through me.

"They live side by side on the first floor," she adds, before collapsing onto the sofa.

So the boy I get on with the least is part of the group of friends I'm meeting and, what's more, he lives in my building? I'll just have to deal with it anyway.

Cassie, unperturbed by my thoughts, grabs her phone and dials the pizzeria. While she places the order, I decide to make myself comfortable on the sofa in the living room. The soft cushions sink slightly under my weight.

"Every Saturday we have a little party on the roof of the residence. And you have to come this Saturday," she says after hanging up.

"On the roof?" I ask in surprise.

"Yes, on the roof."

"But isn't it a bit dangerous?"

"Seriously, Jo! You're not going to play mom anyway!"

"No, it's just surprising." I straighten up, trying to contain my embarrassment.

"But we don't drink much!" adds Cassie as if trying to convince me.

I can't say I'm much of a party girl. I've had maybe three parties in my life, and they didn't end well.

"Come on, you'll see, it's going to be great!" she encouraged me.

Despite my initial resolution to concentrate solely on my studies at university, I realize that I'm finally giving in to the urge to fit in more.

"It's okay, but I won't be home late. I've got to look for work this weekend."

"Cool! I'll let everyone in the group know. What kind of work are you looking for?"

"Anything. Bars, restaurants, bookshops..."

As Cassie gets up to rummage in her bag, I look at her curiously. After a few seconds, she pulls out a neatly folded sheet of paper, handing it to me with an air of confidence."Here, call them," she declares. "Tell them I sent you. I'm sure they'll accept."

My eyes widen in surprise.

"Seriously?" I ask, trying to confirm that I understand.

"Of course I'm serious! It's a company I've worked for before."

Just as I'm about to pick up the phone to make this promising call, a sound rings at the door, interrupting our conversation.

"I'll get it," I said quickly, feeling a surge of excitement inside me.

With a leap, I rise from the sofa, quickly slipping the paper into the back pocket of my jeans. I make a dash for the lobby stairs, watching my steps to avoid any false moves that might send me tumbling. The prospect of discovering this coffee/bookshop and potentially working here fills me with new energy.

When I open the door, I'm greeted by the delivery boy standing there carrying the two pizza boxes, their irresistible smell tickling my nostrils. I hand him the change with a grateful smile, then prepare to head back up the stairs to join Cassie.

However, caught up in the excitement of the moment, I pay no attention to what's in front of me. My body hits something solid at the corner of the stairs, causing a slight shock. Surprised, I look up to see what has caused this unexpected collision.

"You obviously can't stop falling on me," says a familiar voice.

Blake.

Looking up, I notice a spark of amusement in his penetrating gaze. For a brief moment, his posture seems almost warm, evoking a glimmer of friendship. His lips curve into a subtle smile, revealing the scar that crosses his upper lip. However, my eyes travel further down his face, revealing a faint mark on his cheek and a distinct scar just above his eyebrow.

Suddenly, I realize I've lost myself in this careful observation and have to look away, conscious of my intense, curious gaze.

"You always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"I wonder which of us is always in the wrong place at the wrong time," he replies, studying my face. An enigmatic smile forms on his lips before he leaves the building, leaving a trace of mystery in his wake.

I stand there, motionless in the corridor, unable to stop myself replaying the scene over and over in my head. His eyes, like attentive cameras, seemed to scrutinize every detail of my face, creating a strange momentary connection between us. His gaze bore not the usual coldness, but rather a certain concealed benevolence. Maybe he was in a good mood today, or maybe I'd finally managed to break through the impenetrable facade that usually surrounded him.

Thoughts swirl in my head as I make my way along the path to Cassie's apartment.

"Wow, took you long enough. I thought the delivery guy had kidnapped you!" she exclaims. A burst of laughter escapes me as I carefully place the steaming pizzas on the coffee table in the living room.

"What's going on here? You look like you've seen something horrible," she asks, helping herself to a slice.

A shiver runs down my spine as Cassie, looking inquisitive, immediately notices my perturbed expression. Her piercing gaze leaves no escape from my emotions. I briefly wonder how she can decipher my innermost thoughts so easily. Maybe I'm just too transparent.

"I passed Blake downstairs... again."

A fleeting smile escapes her lips, adding a touch of mischief to her face. His sparkling gaze fixes on me, mixing amusement with a slight dose of intrigue. His observation draws a slight sigh from me, mingled with a hint of resignation. I can't help wondering whether this is a mere coincidence, or whether fate really does play a role in our impromptu meetings.

"Don't tell me he caught your attention anyway?" Asks Cassie.

I stop for a moment and smile at her."Are you seriously asking me if I'm interested in the strangest guy I've ever met? No, never, Cassie."

She shrugs with a detached air before refocusing on the TV show playing in the background. Her nonchalant gesture invites me to follow her in this attitude, to let go of my questioning for the moment.

My gaze turns away from the unfinished conversation, and my thoughts wander into the meanders of the program unfolding before me. I let myself be carried away by the flow of images and sounds, seeking a momentary respite from the fictional universe occupying my thoughts.