22 - Joséphine

I calmly pack my bag, aware that seeing my uncle again will probably do me good. It's been a hectic week, full of difficult moments to deal with. Visits to the hospital to have my stitches checked were one after another, a reminder of the physical suffering I endured. Joey's incessant questions about my assault were also an ordeal to overcome. I had to lie to him, claiming to have been the victim of a racketeering attempt, pretending to have resisted. Fortunately, he seems to have accepted this version for the time being. Joey has been by my side throughout this week. He has looked after me with his usual tenderness. I see it as a way for him to redeem himself, to make amends for the times when he hasn't been there. I missed feeling his presence and sleeping in his arms. It reminds me of the evenings in front of Netflix we used to have at his place. Falling asleep against him was a source of comfort, a way to leave behind the worries of everyday life, if only for a moment.

Joey enters my apartment just then, interrupting my thoughts. "Everything's ready," he announces, brandishing a plastic bag with a triumphant air.

"Joey... we've only got an hour and a half's drive, not five hours," I reply, continuing to stuff a few things into my bag.

"I know you do. I also know you often stop for coffee when you're driving, so..." He pauses to take a cup of coffee out of the bag.

"I've got it covered," he finishes.

I offer him a polite smile.

"And... you need to eat too," he continues, worried. I know this attack isn't something...

"I'm fine, Joey, really. I just have a lot of work to do," I repeat with conviction.

Deep down, I know he's not convinced by what I'm saying. I'm a terrible liar, and he can easily read through my words. The marks of the aggression persist, and my incessant preoccupation has an impact on my appetite. I'm aware that I don't eat as much as I should. Blake's departure has left a pile of questions in my life, while the lack of news from Clyde adds another layer of worry. Casey, too, seems to be gradually pulling away from me, and this only compounds my concerns. I don't really understand why. I try desperately to send her messages, but I get no response in return. I've even tried going to her house, but no one answers. I feel like I've lost touch with everyone, even Shawn is getting quieter and quieter, leaving me unsure.

I open the trunk of my car and stuff my bag in, making sure it's well-packed. Then I settle behind the wheel, adjusting the seat and mirrors before putting the key in the ignition. Joey slides in beside me, making himself comfortable in the passenger seat. I grab my phone and dial my uncle's number. When he picks up, I tell him of our imminent departure, assuring him that we'll be on our way soon. We exchange a few warm and reassuring words, then I hang up. I switch on the GPS, checking the best route to my uncle's house. The screen lights up, displaying a detailed map of the planned route. I take a deep breath, mentally preparing myself for the journey ahead.

"You know, Jo, I remember you when you wore pink braces, which were horrible by the way, but you know that already...," he begins as we pull out of the parking lot.

"Fuck you," I smile back.

"Let me finish..."

I beckon him on.

"I know you well enough to know that your pain isn't just about the attack, it's also about someone else," Joey says, shaking his head slightly, making his locks of hair dance.

I turn my head toward him, my eyes slightly crinkled, and nod from left to right while rolling my eyes.

"I'm begging you, Joey, shut up if you're going to say shit like that. If I were in love, you'd already know it, so put it on the back burner."