39 - Joséphine

"Put her down here," a nurse orders Shawn in a firm tone.

"I can walk!" I say to Shawn, trying to show my independence despite the pain that throws me with every movement.

He flashes a sympathetic smile, but obeys the nurse nonetheless, helping her gently settle me into a chair.

"What happened?" she asks in a gentle voice, examining my bruised hands.

"I fell and caught myself with my hands," I answer vaguely, not wanting to go into the disturbing details of the incident.

The nurse nods slightly, her eyes carefully scrutinizing the marks and scratches dotting my palms. "This isn't the first time you've obviously fallen," she remarks in a concerned tone, observing my older scars.

Shawn frowns, concerned, as his gaze settles on me, seeking an answer to this silent riddle.

"No," I reply with a false smile, trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation.

The nurse then proceeds to carefully disinfect my hands, but the sensation of alcohol on my wounds makes me wince involuntarily. "It's never pleasant, I know," she says in a gentle voice, trying to comfort me.

When she's finished, she carefully wraps my hands, Shawn watching her every move.

"Where's Blake?" I ask suddenly.

Shawn purses his lips, a shadow of concern crossing his eyes.

"I told him to leave."

"It wasn't his fault."

The nurse then leaves the room, leaving us alone, which finally allows us to have a more intimate conversation.

"He was out of control, Joséphine."

"Kyle had provoked him."

Shawn clenched his fists, his gaze fixed on the floor. "Do you accept that kind of behavior?!"

"No, but I understand it. He's been through so much, and I know how hard it can be to keep calm in situations like this."

"Did you see the state he put your ex in?"

"He deserves it, Shawn, I assure you."

I prefer not to dwell on the subject, feeling the need to withdraw into myself to avoid reliving those painful memories. I sink into the chair, trying to hide my physical pain as much as my emotional sorrow.

It was really weird again us this morning, so shy. His eyes betrayed disappointment.

Is he mad at me?

My hands still bruised, I grimace slightly, praying that the pain will subside. But the most intense pain lies in my heart. Tears threaten to escape as I recall Kyle's violent gesture. I feel as if I've fallen back two years, bringing back painful memories I thought had been buried forever.

"Blake?" suddenly calls out Shawn.

His name makes me look up to see Blake in the doorway.

"I told you to leave."

But Blake is undaunted and strides into the room.

"He wouldn't listen to me," intervenes Cassie, raising her hands in innocence.

I sigh, realizing that misunderstanding reigns supreme between them. "Let him in, Shawn," I say calmly.

Shawn steps aside to let Blake in, but closes the door behind him, leaving the two of us alone at last.

"I'm sorry," Blake murmurs, a look of remorse in his eyes.

I frown, trying to understand the meaning of his apology. "For what?"

"For all the mess I've made of your life. It won't happen again."

My heart sinks at his words. "Stop it, Blake..."

"I'm serious, Joséphine. I'm no good for you."

I feel overwhelmed by a mixture of affection and frustration. "It wasn't your fault."

"It doesn't matter," he says with a touch of resignation, as if accepting his fate.

He comes to sit opposite me, our eyes meeting in an atmosphere charged with complex emotions. The space between us is thin, creating an unsettling closeness that reinforces the intensity of our conversation.

"What possessed you to leave the class?"

He hesitates for a moment, his gaze searching for an adequate answer to my questions. "I needed some fresh air," he finally replies.

"Stop being enigmatic and be fucking sincere."

His hesitant gaze gives me a feeling of distress, as if he's afraid that the truth he's holding inside might upset our relationship. "You were right to leave this morning, Jo. With you, I can't control anything."

The weight of his words falls on me, creating a mixture of contradictory feelings. Surprise, sadness, and incomprehension intermingle in my mind as I try to understand the deeper meaning of his words.

"What's the meaning of this?"

He slowly approaches me, his face coming dangerously close to mine. His intense gaze plunges into mine, as if he's trying to read every thought in my head. Then his lips brush mine, creating an electric shock that runs through my entire being. A fleeting moment, a barely perceptible touch, but enough to set my heart ablaze. Yet before I can react, he rises hastily, as if he's been burned. He's gone so quickly that I'm stunned, staring at the spot where he was standing just a few seconds ago.

What's happened to him? Why did he leave in such a hurry? Did our lips actually touch, or did I imagine the sensation?

I sit there, letting the ambiguity of this encounter hang in the air. My heartbeat echoes in my ears.

Shawn enters, closely followed by Cassie. "Well?" he asks, impatient.

"He apologized," I manage to say, still shaken by recent events.

Suddenly, Joey storms into the room, clearly worried.

"What happened?" he asks, searching our eyes for answers.

I glance at Cassie. "I had to tell him," she justifies.

"That wasn't necessary," I say in a slightly annoyed tone.

"Yes, it is," retorts Joey, completely distraught. "Are you okay?"

"Do I look dead?" I ask ironically, trying to lighten the mood despite my raw emotions.

He gives a weak smile, reassured to see me in relatively good health, while Cassie and Shawn exchange a knowing glance, standing back.

"Well, not that I'm bored, but now that you're back on your feet, don't you think a little shopping would be good for you?" asks Cassie, crossing her arms enthusiastically.

Shawn sighs slightly and rolls his eyes. His expression makes me smile.

"Are you asking me to skip school?"

She smiles mischievously.

I hate skipping school, but I have to admit that the idea of spending time with Cassie and taking my mind off things appeals to me. Plus, I have to admit, finding a dress for Cassie's birthday would be a much more pleasant mission.

"All right, then."

"All right, you win, but let's not drag this out," says Joey.

"I promise we won't take too long," I reassure him.

"I'm out of here, because I don't want to spend the whole day shopping," says Shawn humorously, displaying his "protective big brother" air.

Cassie and I burst out laughing at his predictable reaction. We both know that Shawn much prefers more... sporting activities. Shopping is definitely not his forte. "We won't hold it against you, Shawn," I tell him. "You can go do whatever you want, we'll be fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely," I answer, winking at him.

Although I'm still worried about Blake, I decide to put that concern aside, if only for an afternoon.