41 - Joséphine

Few days later...

All day long, Joey helped me tidy up my apartment, demonstrating his unfailing generosity. Since his arrival, we'd been going to movie nights and fast-food restaurants when his so-called "friend" was at work. Empty Coca-Cola bottles littered the floor, while boxes of fried noodles sat quietly on the coffee table.

Around two o'clock, Joey went out to run a few errands and buy some more appropriate clothes for tonight's party. I eagerly await his return, trying to occupy my mind as best I can. I immerse myself in my work, trying to forget as much as possible about Blake's photos and our intimate moment. I carefully avoid the subject with my uncle and the people I know. I don't want to talk about it, or even think about it. Over time, I've hardened, becoming less kind and less tolerant. I suppose a lot of that has to do with Blake. Ironically, this transformation has its advantages. I feel a growing sense of strength within me every day.

Finally, at six o'clock, I decide it's time to get ready for the evening. Lying in bed, I try to motivate myself despite a deep reluctance. The idea of going to this party fills me with apprehension, mainly because I'm afraid of seeing him and succumbing to my emotions. Cassie assured me that he shouldn't be here tonight. He claimed to be leaving for Washington this morning, although I'm not sure why.

I get up, stretch and head for my bedroom mirror. I'm horrified by what I see: dark circles under my eyes, my hair matted and greasy. I hurry off to take a shower, emerging a few minutes later, fresh and clean. Then I struggle to put on the pastel pink dress I'd bought a few days earlier. It sticks to my skin even more than when I first tried it on. Fast food has left its mark, and I curse this reality. I let my hair fall down my back and put on my make-up, desperately trying to hide the dark circles under my brown eyes. A thin layer of discreet pink lipstick completes my appearance.

I return to the living room, where Joey watches me, a beaming smile on his lips.

"I didn't know you were home," I say, heading for the kitchen to get my phone.

"You're pretty," he says, detailing me from head to toe.

"Let's stop eating fast food, because I can barely fit into this dress," I reply, tapping him gently on the shoulder.

He hesitates for a moment before remarking, "You look better..."

"A little better."

He quickly slips away to the bathroom, aware of the sensitivity of the subject between Blake and me. He's right, in a way, I am better. Strangely, in this outfit, I feel like a different woman. Joey comes back into the room, wearing a black suit that suits him perfectly. I can't help but whistle as I admire him.

"Handsome," I comment with a smile.

"Still haven't got your shoes on? Cassie's waiting for us downstairs in five minutes."

"It's okay," I answer, throwing up my hands. "It doesn't take me an hour to put on a pair of pumps."

I take one last look in the mirror once the heels are on. I feel beautiful for once, even if I'm not comfortable in this dress. I don't like dresses that are too short, and this is one of them.

"Joséphine, move your ass!" shouts Joey from the kitchen.

I come into the kitchen, grab my keys and my bag.

"Off we go."

We're going downstairs, or at least I'm trying to. My heels make it difficult, and I feel like I'm in danger of falling down every step.

"You're really impossible," says Joey as he sees me clinging to the railing.

He suddenly lifts me up, grabbing my legs and carrying me.