5 - Joséphine

The next morning, I wake gradually, the shrill sound of the vibrator against my wooden bedside table rousing me from my slumber. My eyelids open with effort, adjusting to the soft light filtering through the half-open curtains. The contours of the room gradually take shape, as I sit up and stretch, chasing away the last mists of sleep.

My gaze settles on my phone beside me, its screen illuminated by a notification. With a still numb gesture, I reach for the device and unlock the screen, discovering a message from Cassie in the group we share.

"We'll meet at seven in front of the local."

After replying, I get up from the sofa and clean the bowl before heading to the shower to wake up under the cool water. Once out, I get dressed, choosing a lace top and blue jeans. Taking advantage of the afternoon, I decide to go shopping, quickly writing a list on a piece of paper torn from one of my notebooks. I grab my bag and tie up my still damp hair before leaving my apartment. Locking the door, I slip the key into my bag and head down the stairs towards the underground parking lot.

Once inside, I see Blake getting out of his car. The dark circles under his eyes and the red lipstick on his neck sum up his night. I walk past him with a smile.

He looks at me, then shuts his car.

"What?"

"Nothing, it's obvious you had a great night," I say in an amused tone.

"It's none of your business," he replies and drives off.

"If you don't want us to know, remember to look in the mirror before you leave one of your conquests." With a wry smile, I settle into my car. No answer from him, or maybe I didn't give him time to talk. He requires so much energy.

I start the engine and leave the parking lot, turning on the radio. In the suffocating heat, I grab my sunglasses and adjust them on my nose to protect my eyes. Despite this, I decide to roll down the window to let the air caress my hair and dry it. I pay close attention to the GPS indications, carefully avoiding collisions with other vehicles.

*

Once I've finished shopping, I head for home as usual. I park in my usual spot and get out of the car. A feeling of regret already comes over me, knowing that I'll have to climb the stairs with all those groceries. I gather my courage and grab my bags. The straps burn the palms of my hands, and my forehead, is covered in sweat as I begin the climb. Just then, Peter emerges from an apartment.

"Whoa, you need help maybe?" His smile is radiant.

"Long time no see," I say, putting my bags on the ground.

He grabs both my bags and starts up the stairs.

"You didn't have to do it, Peter, I would have managed."

"You would have had asthma after two steps."

I burst out laughing.

"I didn't know you lived here too. Looks like you all live in the same place."

"Yeah, we all moved up here, so we could have parties on the roof. In fact, are you coming tonight?"

"Yeah, usually."

We arrive at the door of my apartment. He sets the bags down on the landing. 

"Do you want to come in for a beer? Think of it as a thank you for going to all this trouble." My voice falters a little – I'm not really in the habit of offering anything to anyone.

"Why not," he replies with a shrug.

I smile and open my apartment. He picks up the bags and places them on the kitchen counter.

*

We spent the afternoon talking. Peter is very nice and pleasant, as well as being really cute. We talked about classes and our lives. Peter's parents have been separated for a year. I could hear in his voice that he wasn't completely cured. I'd told him in turn that I'd lost my parents in a car accident when I was twelve. For the first time, I didn't mind talking about it. I feel comfortable with Peter and I trust him. He unpacked his past for me, so it was easy for me to unpack mine.

"It's nearly time," Peter announces, rising from the sofa. "Shall we meet upstairs?"

"Sure thing," I say with a smile.

I walk him to the door, saying "see you later". He sends me that angelic smile once again. I close the door behind him and head for my wardrobe. I stand in front of it for fifteen minutes, undecided.

Finally, after some hesitation, I decide on a very light white top, to which I add a white tank top underneath. I prefer to keep the same jeans, which go well with the rest of my outfit. Heading for the bathroom, I quickly change and take the opportunity to freshen up a bit. I tie back some of my hair, letting a few strands fall delicately over my face for a relaxed effect. For make-up, I choose a simple, natural approach. A single coat of mascara is enough to highlight my lashes without overdoing it. I then grab my lip gloss and apply a thin layer to my lips.

I take one last look in the mirror.

That should do it.