17 - Joséphine & Blake

Two weeks later...

Tonight, Peter is hosting a party at his parents' house.

I'm as apprehensive as ever. In the shower, I let the warm water run over my body, letting its flow soothe my thoughts. I take the opportunity to massage my tense neck, while my mind wanders in anticipation of the evening ahead. Once out of the shower, I dry off quickly and slip on a comfortable sweater and simple jeans. The temperatures are freezing at the moment, and I realize that we won't be able to enjoy outdoor meals with the others. I already miss the thought of it. As for Blake and me, our exchanges are becoming rarer. I would have thought that recent events would bring us closer together, but it's not the case. The tension that arose when we almost kissed has clearly made us both uncomfortable. The last few weeks have been a little painful. I've had to force myself to ignore him and stop looking at him. For his part, he's made no attempt to engage in conversation, and somehow that suits me. I wouldn't know what to say if he ever tried to approach me.

I put a final coat of mascara on my lashes, slightly accentuating my look, and add a subtle touch of pink lipstick. Always discreet, I hate wearing too much make-up. I've barely had time to put my hair back in place when a knock sounds at my door. I take one last look at my reflection in the mirror to make sure everything's in order, then head for the front door.

"So, are you ready?" Shawn says, raising his eyebrows a few times, a teasing smile on his lips.

"You're really heavy when you put your mind to it."

Shawn and I have really grown close lately. He's become my source of comfort, filling a void I've had for a long time. I wouldn't say there's anything concrete between us, it's just a sincere friendship. We spend a lot of time together, and it was to him that I confided my pain about Blake and Joey.

*

We arrive in front of Peter's house in less than fifteen minutes, taking advantage of the remaining time with Shawn to stop for a light meal at my new job. I started work a week ago and have settled in quickly. My boss seems happy with me, and that makes me feel really good. I didn't expect much more from my first job. Spending an afternoon surrounded by books and coffee is more than enough to keep me happy.

As we enter the house, the electric atmosphere of the party immediately envelops us. The place is already buzzing, vibrating to the rhythm of the music. Laughter fills the air, while lively conversations echo in every corner of the house. I soon notice that some people are getting carried away by the euphoria of the evening. Empty glasses pile up on the tables, while others stagger about. Cigarette smoke floats in the air, creating a translucent veil that adds a mysterious aura to the intoxicating ambience. My gaze falls on some of them, who seem to be looking for a way out. Little pink pills quickly disappear into their palms, before being swallowed up.

"What's this?" I ask Shawn, pointing to a girl taking one of the pills. He turns his gaze to her.

"Probably ecstasy," he replies in a detached tone.

My eyebrows raise slightly, then I resume my walk towards the kitchen, seeking to appease my growing curiosity. There I see Peter, leaning nonchalantly against the worktop, deep in animated conversation with Cassie.

"My frieeeeeeends!" he exclaims, his voice clearly resonating despite the high volume of the music.

We approach him, a slight excitement palpable in the air. I turn my cheek to give him a peck on the cheek, accompanied by a similar gesture to Cassie, while Shawn sends a friendly greeting to both of us.

"So, you and Shawn?" Cassie says in my ear.

I look at her and roll my eyes. "Nonsense. Stop trying to set me up with everyone."