25 - Joséphine

The alarm clock rings, gently rousing me from my slumber. I sit up slowly in bed, memories of the week with my uncle still fresh in my mind. The thought of now having to face reality grips my heart.

I quickly jump out of bed and head for the shower to wake up fully. The hot water soothes my muscles and gets me in shape. After washing, I take the time to comb my hair and brush my teeth thoroughly. As I leave the bathroom, I realize that the morning chill has seeped into the room. So I hurry to dress warmly. I choose my favorite black boots, black jeans and a thick white sweater. Outside, the thermometer can't be above ten degrees, so it's best to be well covered up. I pack my bag and slip in my computer, essential for my lessons. Then I grab my jacket and keys and head for the campus. As usual, I stop off at Starbucks for my favorite coffee before continuing on my way.

Arriving at campus right on time, I make my way through the corridors to my classroom. On the way, I bump into Cassie, and Clyde, who doesn't seem inclined to be in a good mood. I enter the classroom and take my place in the front rows. As usual, there are a few latecomers. A girl and a boy finally enter and take their seats. The teacher gives instructions on the research to be carried out during the course. I take out my computer and start it up, concentrating on the screen in front of me. However, a scent manages to captivate my nostrils. It's a mixture of mint and fir. Intrigued, I look up to see Blake talking to the teacher in a low voice. The atmosphere in the room seems to be warming up, although the ambient temperature is cool. My eyes can't take my eyes off him. I look closely at his clothes, a simple pinstripe T-shirt, a black denim jacket, khaki fatigues and converse shoes. Memories of our moments come flooding back, hitting me like crashing waves. I recall every detail with disconcerting intensity: the softness of his hands roaming my body, the warmth of his lips grazing my neck, and the electrifying touch of his skin against mine. The memories of our intertwined breaths make me feel as if time has stood still.

With considerable effort, I manage to regain my senses for a few moments. My heart races, as if I'm still soaking up the intimacy I shared with him. Conflicting emotions swirl inside me, accentuated by the complex feelings that seem to animate Blake when he looks away to sit down. In his eyes, I see a gleam of shame, guilt and perhaps even hatred. These contradictory emotions baffle me and leave me wondering about his true intentions towards me.

Could it be that he hates me?

As our gazes briefly meet, a flood of indecipherable emotions can be read in his eyes. This brief moment seems to last for hours, as if the world around us has suspended its movement, capturing the palpable tension between us.

I feel the need to understand, to talk to him to set things straight, even if it means facing difficult truths. I try to concentrate on the course, but every fiber of my being is disturbed by his presence. Being in the same room as him is almost oppressive, and I feel that maybe I should go and talk to him to clear things up. Halfway through the class, I succumb to the temptation to glance over at him. I turn my head slightly and furtively observe his face. My heart races when I realize he was already looking at me. Once again, the ringing bell comes to my rescue, allowing me to escape the situation. I quickly put my things in my bag and leave the room with a determined step.

I head for my locker, walking quickly. I open the padlock with my usual code and open the locker door. I put down my notebooks and books, trying to concentrate on this simple task to soothe my tormented mind. Once the locker is closed, I lean against its door and close my eyes, trying to regain my inner calm.

"You really must learn to control yourself, Joséphine," I murmur to myself, aware that my emotions are getting the better of me.

As I find myself still disturbed by Blake's memories, my gaze is suddenly drawn to a disturbing scene at the end of the corridor. Two policemen are firmly holding Shelby and James, moving them forward with a grave air. My heart misses a beat and an indescribable anguish seizes me. The stupor on the faces of all the students in the hallway, who move aside to let the unexpected procession pass. All eyes are on Shelby and James, just as they had been on Blake before. In fact, the latter is standing close to a doorway, his gaze carefully scrutinizing James, who returns the look with hostility.

Suddenly, I was convinced that this was the message I'd received from him.

As they walk past me, Shelby gives me a look that makes my blood run cold. I can't help but think that if the policeman hadn't held her back so firmly, she'd have pounced on me to finish the job.

Come lunchtime, an unshakable determination drives me to seek answers from Cassie. I can't lose her; she's too important to me. I leave the classroom, heading for the cafeteria, where a crowd of people is milling about. The appetizing smell of today's lunch, a mixture of chicken and vegetables, tickles my nostrils, but I force myself to resist the temptation. Right now, understanding the situation with Cassie is my priority. Scanning the cafeteria with my eyes, I finally spot Cassie sitting at the table where Blake and Clyde are also sitting. A slight shiver of apprehension runs through me at the thought of approaching them, but I have no choice. I also notice Peter and Shawn, chatting with a group of girls at another table. Nothing has changed with them. Despite the frantic beating of my heart, I steel myself and walk over to their table. Negative thoughts try to seep in, questioning my decision to talk to Cassie. As I quicken my pace towards the table, a hand suddenly stops me, gripping my arm firmly. Surprised, I turn to face the person holding me back.

Kyle.

"Joséphine! We meet again!" he exclaims with a wry smile, seeming to enjoy this unexpected encounter.

I raise my eyebrows, surprised by his presence here. "Why are you here? How long are you going to follow me?"

"I'm not following you, I'm simply continuing my studies," he replies with a smile, but his eyes betray a glint of defiance.

Nonsense.

I know he's following me, watching me somehow. Tension mounts inside me, and I find myself undecided as to the best way to react, hesitating between fleeing or confronting him.

One look is all it takes for me to realize that he's just playing with me, manipulating me like a puppet. I feel like a vulnerable lamb in the face of this cunning wolf. Yet I try to keep calm, refusing to give in to his twisted game.

"Your boyfriend is here?" he taunts. I look away and watch Blake from a distance, his gaze on us. My heart races, and I have the impression that he's analyzing every gesture, every word exchanged between us.