53 - Joséphine

I leave the examination room, feeling a huge weight evaporate from my shoulders. The lump that knotted my throat two hours ago has finally disappeared, giving way to indescribable relief. My legs shake slightly from the effort and the emotion, but I remain standing, leaning against the corridor wall, letting out a deep sigh of liberation. Suddenly, an unfamiliar voice jolts me from my thoughts. I turn my head to discover a student I've never met before.

"Is something wrong?"

I find myself face to face with a young man whose imposing stature far exceeds my own. His presence emanates a certain assurance mixed with genuine curiosity. What immediately catches my eye is his deep black hair, bouncing in messy curls that almost seem to dance to the rhythm of an inner melody. Her face, a tableau of harmonious features, is framed by these rebellious locks. Her bright green eyes are deep and penetrating, almost as if they can read every thought that crosses my mind. The emerald shades of his eyes sparkle, subtly changing color according to the ambient light. He seems to be staring at me, as if he already knows me.

"No, it's all right," I reply with a shy smile.

Just then, Cassie appears at my side, paying no attention to the boy in front of us. "Joséphine! So, you made it," she exclaims happily, taking my arm and dragging me along with her.

I take one last quick look at the boy, nodding, before walking away.

"Do you know him?" I ask her once we're far enough apart.

"I think he's new."

"New at the end of the year?"

"What do you care," she retorts, completely uninterested in the situation. "How was the exam?"

I raise my eyebrows at her disconcerting ignorance. "I don't know, I think I missed it."

"Don't be silly, Joséphine. You never miss anything."

"What about you?" I ask, trying to divert the conversation.

"I think I succeeded, we'll see."

I offer her a brief smile, but my thoughts continue to swirl in my head. I feel like I've failed my exam miserably. My mind was elsewhere, and I couldn't really explain why. The heavy silence in the room and the incessant ticking of the clock totally unsettled me, making each question more difficult. Cassie, as attentive as ever to my emotions, suggests we go for a drink before I go home. I gladly accept, desperate for a little break to decompress and let my thoughts melt away.

The atmosphere in the bar is relaxed and friendly, with soft music playing in the background to create a soothing ambience, yet I can't stop thinking about it.

"Stop sulking, you've passed this exam," says Cassie when she sees my face.

"I don't know, my mind was elsewhere."

"Are you thinking about the ball tonight? Are you from somewhere else?"

"I can't dance, and neither can he...," I murmur, thinking of Blake.

Cassie bursts out laughing. "It doesn't matter that I can't dance. The most important thing is to have fun, isn't it? You should come along."

"Did Clyde invite you?"

"Not yet, but I think he will, don't you think," she replies with a hint of concern in her voice.

"Of course he will!"

"I hope he will. He seems elsewhere at the moment."

"Blake too..."

"Ah, men...," she sighs, raising her glass. I smile and toast with her, feeling a weight gradually lifted. Talking with Cassie always has the power to comfort me and take my mind off things. I finish my glass with a lighter spirit, ready to enjoy the moment.