29 - Blake

This girl is completely unpredictable. At first glance, she may seem shy, but deep down, she's even more complex and confusing than I am.

I smile, but the truth is, it confuses me. Part of me cries out to have her all to myself, to let us go towards an intense story, but another part screams at me to let it go, to end it all before things get any more complicated.

Now that we've shared this fucking intense moment, I wonder how our relationship will evolve. For the moment, everything seems to be going well, but I can't help thinking about tomorrow, about all the days to come. Nothing is ever simple with me, and she'll soon find out. Yet, despite all my reservations, I have to admit that she has managed to make me forget my father, if only for a short while. She has calmed the hallucinations that haunt my nights, unlike all the others who have only amplified them. You have to realize that even when I'm surrounded by people, I sometimes see and feel them beside me. With her, it didn't happen. This girl is clearly impressive, and that scares the shit out of me, because I don't know how to deal with what she's provoking in me.

Next day.

I arrive late at campus, as usual. Time never seems to be on my side, but I don't really mind. My mind often wanders, lost in my own thoughts and concerns. But right now, I can't help but feel disturbed by something.

Suddenly, a voice that sounds like Shawn's jerks me out of my thoughts.

"Blake!" he shouts.

I turn like a whip to see him coming towards me at full speed.

"It is you."

"Well, yeah, it's me." I reply, rolling my eyes.

He raises his hands in innocence. "I didn't have time to see you yesterday, I was too busy..."

"Hitting on chicks, as usual."

He pauses, tilting his head slightly to one side. There's silence for a second, one of those moments when we understand each other without saying a damn thing.

"Exactly."

I smile slightly as we continue on our way.

"Did you talk to Jo?" he asks, and I knew this question was coming.

"Yeah, I did. It's okay, she and I have patched things up. Why? Do you mind? Do you mind?" I retort.

"Relax, man. I'm the one who recommended she come and talk to you," he exclaims with a smile, clearly proud of his role.

I look at him, frowning. "Okay, did you tell her about my dad?"

"Ah, did she know?"

"Apparently so."

"No, it wasn't me. I asked her to come and ask you directly," he clarifies.

We walk up the stairs to our classroom. I take a seat at the back and Shawn sits next to me.

"By the way, dude, Jared's dad really wants to see you tonight at the bar," he announces.

"He does? What for?"

"For your shares of the bar."

"He and I have already discussed it. I don't want it."

"Blake, seriously, we'd make a lot more money than your stash."

"I haven't even finished paying for it!"

"Mr. Robertson? Quiet, please," the teacher thunders.

I look up at her, offering a forced smile in silent apology.