52 - Joséphine

Four months later...

I wake up gently with Blake's warm arm wrapped around me.

Morning sunlight streams through the blue curtain, flooding the room with a warm glow. My legs are caught in the comforter, as one of them escapes, leaving my bare leg dangling off the bed. Summer is fast approaching, and with it, temperatures begin to climb. It's the end of the university year, marked by graduation and, above all, the dreaded exams.

For the past few months, I've been devoting all my time to preparing for my second-year exam, while at the same time juggling my move. For the past two months, I've officially been living with Blake. His apartment is a real gem, spacious and modern, with large bay windows offering a magnificent view of the garden. To please me, he has also invested in large bookcases and vintage sofas. Sam didn't take kindly to my decision to move here, but I knew he would. For me, it was the best decision I ever made, even if it was hard for him to accept. Since we moved in, my relationship with Blake has blossomed. He's opening up more to me and doing his best to spend as much time together as possible. Cassie and Clyde often come to visit us. They, too, are planning to live together in their own apartment. They keep saying how empty the residence is without us. For me, the change has been radical: no more the same route, no more the same routine, and I regret nothing. Today's prom, but Blake and I have decided not to attend. Neither he nor I are fans of dancing, so we prefer to spend our time together, in our own way.

I slowly leave the bed, gently pushing Blake's arm so as not to wake him. I head to the kitchen to prepare breakfast, knowing that Blake will be up soon. I open the fridge and grab the eggs to crack into the frying pan. Just as I'm about to grab the wooden spoon, two arms suddenly wrap around my hips, making me jump.

"I've already told you not to do this," I reminded him gently.

"Too tempting."

I turn to face Blake and can't resist his lips. A soft kiss ensues, and his hands slide tenderly down my back, covering me with kisses. "I've got an exam at nine, Blake..."

"You've got an hour...," he murmurs, his lips again finding their way down my neck.

His kisses elicit an involuntary moan of pleasure before I gently push him away.

"I've got to meet Cassie before... you know... at the café...," I explain, catching my breath.

He backs away slightly, letting out a disappointed sigh. "I'd forgotten..."

I smile at him, then return to the stove to finish preparing breakfast. However, before I can fully concentrate on the cooking, I purse my lips and let slip a question that's been nagging at me.

"Do you think I'll pass the exam?"

I hear Blake put down his cup of coffee, and I can tell his eyebrows are furrowing slightly. "Why do you ask? You've been studying all year, you're ready."

I turn to him, my hands firmly gripping the edges of the worktop. "I don't know... I'm afraid of disappointing Sam and my parents. I want them to be proud of me up there."

Blake slowly rises from his chair and approaches me with comforting gentleness. He places his warm hands on my face, capturing my gaze. "Listen to me, you're incredibly talented and hard-working. You've given your all to prepare for this exam, and I'm convinced you're going to pass with flying colors. As for Sam and your parents, they're already proud of you."

He finally places a gentle kiss on my forehead, and I close my eyes to savor the contact. My lips stretch into a smile until he pulls back, resuming his original position. Blake has always struggled with physical contact and displays of affection, and I understand him perfectly. I'm trying to adapt to his way of life just as much as he's trying to open up to me. It's true that our paths differ a little. Blake loves going out at night, even if it means jeopardizing his studies.

An hour later, I'm ready to meet Cassie at the café. I take one last look in the mirror, whispering encouraging phrases to myself to bolster my confidence. The more time passes, the more anxiety I feel. My eyes are drawn to the reflection of Blake, shirtless, putting on a black T-shirt. His curls fall gracefully over his forehead, and his gaze settles on me. If only I'd had the time, I'd have jumped at the chance to kiss him passionately. He continues to look at me, then smiles as he observes my dress reaching my knees.

"What?" I asked, a smile on my face.

"You're so pretty."

I melt every time he compliments me. A radiant smile spreads across my face, and I turn to face him. "Don't try to distract me, Robertson."

"Don't call me that, Evans."

I toss him his pajamas from the floor and grab my bag. "I'm going," I say, coming up to kiss him.

"Is it already?"

"Yes, it's already eight-thirty."

He looks pale and lost in thought.

"Is everything all right?"

"Yes, I've got to meet Shawn. I'll see you tonight. Good luck with your exam." He kisses me one last time before leaving without looking back. I'm a little taken aback by his sudden change of mood. True, he's Blake, and he can be enigmatic at times, but I can't help worrying when he's away. I shake my head slightly at these negative thoughts, concentrating instead on the exam ahead.

After carefully closing my apartment door, I set off, walking to the metro station. My car having broken down a month ago, my uncle is currently repairing it, but in the meantime, I'll have to manage without it. Once there, I find Cassie, dressed in a brown leather skirt and white blouse, looking as radiant and warm as ever.

"I've got your coffee," she says, handing me a cup.

"Oh, thank you."

We talk about the exam the whole way home, deliberately avoiding mentioning Blake's strange behavior. This discussion helps me relax a little, despite my frayed nerves. Once outside the examination room, my hands start to get sweaty, and I can't help but nervously smooth my dress.

"You're going to rock, Joséphine," says Cassie with a beaming smile.

I feel her warm hand take mine and squeeze firmly, as if to convey all her support.

"We're gonna rock," I reply with a smile.