23 - Joséphine

I hear the creak of the chair, a sign that he's straightened up.

"Who cares?" I say, looking at the contents of the fridge.

He doesn't answer.

"Robertson, Blake Robertson," I confessed. "Sam, how long has it been since you went shopping?" I ask, looking at the partially empty contents of the fridge.

He hesitates before answering. "I... don't have much time at the moment."

I notice the empty pizza boxes in the garbage can and the shelves lacking in fresh produce. "I see... I'll go shopping, find us a movie for tonight."

"Got it."

I head for the entrance, putting on my jacket, which I retrieve from the coat rack. "I'll borrow your car. Mine's almost on empty. I'll fill it up tomorrow," I inform him, grabbing his keys.

"Be careful!" he throws at me from the kitchen.

"As always," I reply with a smile, before going out and closing the door behind me.

The rain is pouring down outside, forcing me to put on my hood for protection. I quickly make my way to my uncle's car, letting my body immerse itself in the familiar smell that permeates it, a comforting scent I'd missed so much. The nearest convenience store is five kilometers from my uncle's, but the journey is slowed by the many red lights along the way. It's a reminder of the urban routine I'd temporarily left behind, a constraint I didn't really miss. I quickly find a free space in the supermarket parking lot and rush inside to escape the rain. I'm comforted by the familiarity of the store, knowing every aisle and department by heart from having been there so many times.

I quickly make my way through the aisles, filling my basket with the ingredients I'll need to prepare tonight's dinner. It's a pleasure to be able to cook in a real, spacious kitchen, something I can't do in my small apartment. Fifteen minutes later, I head for the checkout with a well-filled cart. I pay for my purchases and hurry to stow all the bags inside the car boot. I struggle to find space among the toolboxes and other items cluttering up the boot.

The rain begins to ease slowly, giving way to a lull. Just then, a familiar voice calls my name.

"Joséphine?" comes a voice from behind me. I turn around abruptly and find myself face to face with Kyle.

"Kyle..." I say quietly, trying to hide my surprise. I give him a hypocritical smile, hoping to slip away quickly.

"I didn't think I'd see you here again. How have you been since that little party?"

His brown hair is soaked, drops of water beading on his face.

"I'm fine, thanks. Excuse me, but I've got to get back," I reply, trying to put an end to this awkward conversation.

He laughs lightly, as if savoring this unexpected encounter. "We'll see each other again soon," he says as I close my car door.

This announcement freezes me. I have no desire to see him again. On my way back here, I prayed I wouldn't run into him. Apparently, my prayer wasn't answered. I start the car, trying not to hit him as I drive away. There's no way I'm going to end up in jail because of this guy.

I drive to my uncle's house, my mind preoccupied by this disturbing encounter. As soon as I arrived, my uncle came out of his house to help me unload the groceries from the trunk of the car.

"How did it go? You look strange," he remarks, scrutinizing me.

I realize I can't hide anything from him. My uncle has always been able to read me like an open book.