7 - Blake

I drop my search for a fag and stare squarely into Shawn's eyes, trying to figure out what he's up to. He's so stoned he's probably forgotten the fucking plan we made. Typical of him, that prick. I know he's got a big mouth, but when he's drunk, he gets totally out of control. And right now, he's screwing things up with no scruples whatsoever.

"Not even in my dreams," she replies in a voice that falters.

I sigh, she's so predictable. She grabs her glass and downs it in one gulp. I roll my eyes at her.

"Shawn, truth or dare," she says with a smile.

Shawn looks surprised, but his fucking smile never leaves him.

So predictable."Action," he answers without hesitation.

She looks at me, then settles her eyes on Shawn, a smirk on her face.

"Kiss me," she orders.

Does she think I'm going to be mad at her because she wouldn't kiss me, unlike my buddy?

Everyone stares at her, and Shawn looks at me defiantly. He stands up, and Joséphine does the same. They stare at each other for a moment, like the world has stopped spinning, and then they kiss. Like, too long.

Clyde saves the day with a cough, causing them to separate. Joséphine and Shawn can't keep their eyes off each other.

It's maddening.

*

The party's in full swing, and everyone's totally wasted. Joséphine has been talking to Shawn ever since they kissed under Peter's glare. It's funny how everyone's reveling in this fucking news, but she's as naive as a child. She's probably fantasizing about her life with Shawn, not realizing that he'll fuck her and then dump her as usual. She wants to play the provocateur, but I know she'll suffer first.

Cassie and Clyde decide to retire, and Peter follows. Jared is half out of his mind and leaves too, winking at Shawn before leaving. Contrary to what I thought, Shawn also leaves. He can't handle the enormous amount of alcohol he's swallowed, as usual. That leaves Joséphine and me. She takes care of picking up all the fucking bottles, which is cute, considering nobody does that around here.

"What was that earlier?" I ask once we're off the roof.

She sighs."About what?" she asks in a nonchalant voice.

"You know what it was about."

"Nothing, I wasn't going to kiss a guy who can't even see me in a painting." Her voice is brittle, but that makes me laugh even harder.

"What makes you think I don't love you?" I ask with amusement.

She opens the hall door and enters. I follow her in, waiting for her answer.

"I don't know, you're... like..."

"I'm...?"

She starts to wobble, and before she even hits the floor, I catch her. She drops the empty liquor bottles on the floor, making a fucking racket.

I take the opportunity to laugh in her face.

"Wake up, Jo, don't fall asleep," I say, giving her a gentle shake of the head.

She's sleeping like a fucking baby.

I blow and carry her. She weighs nothing at all in my arms, a real featherweight. I carry her back to her apartment. I rummage in her bag for her fucking key, and open the door. I grope the walls for a light switch. The light comes on suddenly, and Joséphine grunts.