14 - Joséphine

It's been four days since our principal's appointment, and this week marks the beginning of my chores with Blake. Obviously, I'm stressed and really wondering how this could end given our chaotic relationship. In the meantime, I took the time to apply to the restaurant Cassie recommended, and now I'm waiting for an answer. I had to forgo the rooftop party last Saturday, I had to concentrate on work and refocus on my studies. Joeyy finally answered my message, but I don't really feel like talking to him anymore. After languishing for days simply because I didn't call him, I find it absurd.

"Fancy going for a coffee?" asks Cassie, breaking my fixation with Joeyy's message from last night.

The message echoes in my head as I reread it for the umpteenth time:

"Sorry, I shouldn't have left you without news. I'll come over this weekend if you want a big head."

I sigh, lost in thought, before replying to Cassie. "Yeah, sure. I'll be right behind you."

I reajust my tote bag on my shoulder and start following her closely. I'm still unfamiliar with the city, and at this rush hour, I dread getting lost. I enter the café/bookshop and am instantly enveloped by a wave of warmth and intoxicating aromas. The atmosphere is both welcoming and vibrant, filled with the bustle of lively conversation and the soothing murmur of turning pages. Red brick walls, adorned with dark wooden shelves laden with carefully aligned books. The shelves are organized with meticulous precision, offering a multitude of literary genres that stretch as far as the eye can see. Soft sofas and comfortable armchairs dot the space. Couples converse in hushed tones, their eyes captivated by the lines unfolding before them. Students tap frantically on their laptop keyboards, absorbed in their work or research. The subtle blend of chocolate and coffee aromas wafts through the air, transporting me into a state of sensory bliss. The sound of coffee grinders, hissing steam and clinking cups add a symphony of invigorating sounds to the already lively atmosphere. I make my way to a table by the window, attracted by the natural light that floods the room and offers a picturesque view of Seattle's bustling streets. I settle into a comfortable armchair, sinking into its cozy cushions, and order a steaming cappuccino.

"What do you think of your future workplace?" she asks me suddenly. I look away, wide-eyed.

"What ?"

A mischievous smile appears on Cassie's lips. My heart sinks at that moment."Look at your e-mails."

My heart pounding, I try to control my excitement. Carefully, I take out my phone and open the messaging app to check my e-mails. My fingers tremble slightly, betraying my state of mind, and Cassie doesn't fail to notice this little display of nervousness. An amused smile spreads across her face as I feverishly scroll through my inbox. And there it is. The long-awaited message. My breathing stops as my eyes take in every word. It's a reply from the café where I applied. I freeze for a moment, struggling to accept the reality of what I'm reading. My heart beats even faster in my chest, filled with a mixture of excitement and relief.

Yes, it's real. The answer is yes.

A huge smile lights up my face as I look up at Cassie, the words stuck in my throat. Emotions rush through me, making it difficult to express my gratitude. But Cassie understands perfectly. She knows how much this opportunity means to me.

"It's incredible!" I exclaim in wonder.

"I told you, I know the boss and his wife, and they're looking for someone to help them. You'll just have to agree the hours with them."

I rise abruptly from my chair, grabbing him enthusiastically in my arms. "Ouch."

"I'm sorry. Thank you, Cassie, thank you, thank you..."