47 - Joséphine

After driving through dense forest for twenty minutes or so, he pulls up in front of a charming (small) cottage. He gets out of the car and closes the door, leaving me alone inside. I'm a little lost, but decide to follow suit and get out of the car as he opens the door for me.

"Where are we?" I ask immediately.

I turn my head to admire the breathtaking scenery. Little lights twinkle along the path that leads to the entrance of the chalet. Colorful flowers adorn the front of the cottage, while a vast meadow stretches majestically behind. A serene calm envelops the place, accompanied only by the song of owls and the gentle rustling of leaves. I look at Blake in wonder.

"Welcome to my grandfather's house, well, it was," he says with a hint of nostalgia in his voice.

"I... it's... magnificent," I stammer, overwhelmed by the beauty of the place.

"Follow me," he says, holding out his hand.

I grasp his hand with a slight excitement that makes my fingers tingle, and he guides me inside the chalet. The solid wood door opens slowly, revealing a cozy, welcoming interior. As soon as we cross the threshold, the comforting warmth of the fireplace caresses our skin. The living room stretches out before us. A soft, comfortable plaid sofa sits majestically opposite the fireplace. Carefully arranged cushions add an extra touch of color and comfort. Next to the sofa is a small solid wood coffee table, adorned with a bouquet of fresh flowers that perfume the room with a delicate fragrance. The living room walls are adorned with framed photos, telling stories of hunting and family moments. Trophies of majestic deer, carefully hung, bear witness to past exploits. Memories captured in the photographs mingle with the warm atmosphere, evoking tales of outdoor adventures and moments of shared happiness.

Blake removes my jacket and hangs it on the coat rack by the front door.

"I didn't know you'd like it so much... I was a bit hesitant," he admits.

"It's perfect. Really perfect," I stammer, amazed.

I approach the photos, captivated by the memories frozen in time. The first photo catches my eye. It shows Blake holding a deer he's hunted. Next to this photo is a more intimate snapshot. Blake is sitting by the fireplace, surrounded by his family. The beaming faces and bursts of laughter captured in this image testify to moments of shared complicity and happiness.

"Is that you?" I ask, pointing to a young boy in one of the photos.

"Yes, I used to go hunting with my grandfather when I was a kid, but I never really liked it. It was a family tradition on my mother's side."

We sit on the sofa, and I stare at the flames in the fireplace. Suddenly, I sense that Blake is preoccupied. His eyes scan the room before settling on me.

"What?" I ask, puzzled.

He smiles shyly, then replies, "I never thought I'd bring anyone here. Not even Shawn or Jared. This place has always been my haven. I came back here after my father died. Clyde doesn't bother to maintain it, so I've been coming here a lot lately when you're working."

"Why didn't you tell me? I would have helped you."

"Because I wanted to surprise you. I wasn't sure you'd like it." His expression changes, he looks unsure of himself. I turn towards him, my body turning in his direction. I delicately take his face between my hands and force him to look at me.

"It really is perfect. And for someone who's never done this before, you're doing pretty well," I say softly. My words seem to relax him, and he stands up abruptly, turning to me.

"Wait till you see the rest."

Intrigued, I frown and turn towards the kitchen. From what I can see of it from a distance, it's all wood and marble. Blake pulls a bottle from a small fridge and returns to the living room, proudly brandishing a bottle of champagne.