CHAPTER 8

ROMANS POV

----------------------------------------------------༺✩༻----------------------------------------------------------

The past two weeks have been absolute shit. I received a call from my mother about a week ago about my giagiá's deteriorating health. I was optimistic that she was going to get better and this was just a bump in the road but later that week I received another call but this time, I don't have any recollection of what happened—hearing the word giagiá, and dead and the ringing in my head. I didn't know how to function. The world didn't feel real. Nothing felt real.

My giagiá had been my rock ever since I was a kid. When I struggled with severe anxiety as a kid she was always there to validate me, not that my parents didn't help but she made me feel comfortable. She lived with my family in our home since Pappoús had died from a heart attack a couple of years back, and having her home was a Godsend.

I would come home from school and smell the aroma of freshly baked baklava wafting through the air and I would run into the kitchen excited to have the wonderful taste of her homemade baklava melt in my mouth. Giagiá always had a pleasant smile on her face when she saw me. She always called me Romaikos, which just meant Roman in Greek, and would pepper my face with kisses. As a kid I despised them, I mean no kid wants their cheeks being squeezed by anyone.

How I wish I could go back in time. I would do anything to go back to when I was in Giagiá's arms again. She always taught me to love unconditionally and wholeheartedly. Giagiá was always sweet to everyone. She always made you feel loved even when you were not deserving of it, and God knows there have been times when I haven't. I didn't even realize how much time had flown by. By the time I had gotten out of the depressive state, I realized how I had completely shut out the outside world. 

I had finally gotten out of my bed after practically living in it for the past two weeks. I attempted to turn on my phone but realized it was shut off, which would make sense since I had neglected it for so long. 

Taking a glance around my room I decided it was time to gather myself up. I took a long-needed shower, which resulted in me sobbing in the shower, but alas I still made it out. I took a look in the mirror and realized how sh*tty my appearance looked. Finally stepping out of the bathroom after a much-needed grooming I decided to finally step out and tackle my room.

I started with the trash and then to my laundry and before I knew it my room was completely spotless. I finally turned on my phone and was bombarded with dozens of messages. Many from my parents, a couple from Jeno and Tako, and messages from Cléo. 

Fuck Cléo. 

Before I could even ponder about the messages of Cléo that I haven't responded to, I get another call from my mother again. Picking it up quickly I respond.

"γεια σου μαμά," I say hoarsely, speaking for the first time in almost two weeks. (translation: hello mama)

"μωρό μου πώς εισαι," She asks softly. (translation: my baby, how are you)

I sigh softly, "I'm doing my best mama, I just finished cleaning up myself and my room," I say running my hand through my hair. Walking towards my desk I sit down and drum my fingers across my desk.

"We finally sorted out the funeral preparations for Giagiá's funeral, and we decided to do it at the end of this month," She says dejectedly and reality hits again. I pause before I continue, "Okay, mama I gotta go, uh do something, I'll call you," I say shakily and end the call without waiting for a response. 

I feel myself begin to crash again, my chest feels tight, and my breaths get shorter. No, no this, not this again. I quickly grab a sweater and walk out my room. I just walk for what feels like forever. And before I realize it I find myself in front of another door, Cléo's dorm to be exact. And before I contemplate anything, I find myself knocking on the door.